Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Filtration Issue

Hello
    The question is: For such a small tank, 5g, what is the best filtration. I kept the inital biowheel filter with media, water is quite clean, I have enough LR. Can I just remove the filter? Problem is that the cleaning crew is very active and they constantly clean up the rocks, etc, propagating lots of particles, debris into the water, sucked eventualy by the filter and deposited on the media. Where is all this junk going to go if I remove the filter ????
    I ask this because I have a space problem under the hood and the elimination of the filter will free a third of the space (I need the space for extra lighting and fan(s)
    Thank you again!

That debris should be consumed by your clean up crew....if your concerned and REALLY want a filter for it...get a canister fliter....and clean it frequently so the debris doesnt cause your nitrates to go up
    Derik...

Frist, welcome to the forum. Lot's of great people here with tons of helpful advice.

I have a 20g gallon tank at work with an eclipse lid and I have no filters in it at all. It's not a 5g...but nonetheless, I don't have any issues.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Keep the filter for water movement, but take out the media.

The live rock is your filter and since you have a nano frequent water changes are your friend

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Do you mean keep his current flilter or use a canister for water movement....?

I have a canister in my tank and I use it inline with my uv light and i use it to put carbon in it......I also have the foam inserts in it too..i clean it in hot water every week when im there and when im gone for work for a month i take it out completly
    Derik...

Thank you very much !!!!!!!!!!
    So, media = no good, biowheel = no good ---to garbage.
    Keep the pump section, cut the rest and gain some underhood space. Right?
    Water changes for a 5g : how much and how often? Combined with waste suction I suppose.

I have a 20G and I do weekly 20% water change. Seems to be working for me so far. Most people seem to do anywhere from 10%-25%, so anywhere around that range id say is a good number.

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

I have a 2.5gal and I use a mini-Bio-Wheel with no wheel and no media. I do a 10% Water Change weekly! The tank has only been running about two months but this system is working great for me! My biggest problem is Temperature! With such a small volume of water my temp. fluctuates quite a bit! I have a new Tetra Tec filter and Capsule Heater on order to solve this problem! Can't wait for it to show!!!

Metropolis-reef,

What have you got in there besides cleanup crew?
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Hello Piatchie
    Just started. 2 weeks. LR Fiji and Indonesia, LS and the cleaning crew only (Quite large cleaning crew, just wondering , waht is too much in terms of cleaning crew?
    I have myself a problem with the temperature, I mounted now a fan under the hood. Levels are not perfect !

Originally posted by Metropolis-Reef
    Hello Piatchie
    Just started. 2 weeks. LR Fiji and Indonesia, LS and the cleaning crew only (Quite large cleaning crew, just wondering , waht is too much in terms of cleaning crew?
    I have myself a problem with the temperature, I mounted now a fan under the hood. Levels are not perfect !

What about you ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast