Thread: Clown is sick!!

Clown is sick!!

Hi guys...

Never ending saga in my life with these fish! All has been fine for a few months. I noticed last night something was on my maroon clowns lip. It could be a worm, I am not sure and have no digicam to take a picture. He also has some marks on his body, but these could be from wear and tear . They dont look like ick marks , etc. These have been present for a while now. I didnt think they were cause for concern but maybe I was wrong.

A few days ago I added a Blue Line Trigger into my tank and a couple of days after that I had an episode where I buffered my PH and it went to 8.78 for a few hours. I did a small water change and the PH went back down to 8.17 where its been holding steady since. All my other level are testing normal.

I also have a UV in my tank so i am figuring the only way he might have caught something was from the new fish, but obviously I aint an expert.

What do you guys suggest? A freshwater dip? I dont have a QT tank, i know , I know....

I have a 35 gallon rubbermaid setup that houses my RO water... I guess I could mix salt in there and make it a temp tank but it has no lights etc. \

HELP!!
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    Japanese Swallowtail Angel Female
    100 pounds LR

70lbs of liverock aint much of a filtration for 2 triggers. water quality might be an issue here plus marroons get large as well!
    not sure it would be wise just yet to go chasing him around as the stress might do him in. just feed him with good food that is soaked in SELCON and garlic extract if you have it. do you plan a huge tank REAL soon? triggers are big fish. to big for 2 of them in a 100g.

I plan an upgrade in the future, yes... I wont do a dip then. I thought getting a UV will ease my problems concering sickness, was I mistaken?
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    100 pounds LR

Both are juvis right now btw.... like 3 inches max... I dont think presently thats an issue.
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    100 pounds LR

Originally posted by shel
    I plan an upgrade in the future, yes... I wont do a dip then. I thought getting a UV will ease my problems concering sickness, was I mistaken?
    no misakes there..the mistakes comes from somewere else...To uv will not get rid of parasites your fish already have and will not elminate stress in your tank that causes a weekness in their immune system....thus causing diseases....Maybe you should sit down,look at your tank and look at the possible changes you can make to help elimimate the diseases outbreak youve been having........As mentionned maybe add some more rocks and feed less to control the water quality wich is another thing that could stress them too..ammonia....too much bioload that the system cannot handle it..adding more live rock will help in the converstion of that ammonia.....if ammonia is another problem here...maybe you can make sure that EVERY piece of food gets eaten....and the rest net it out......What kind of skimmer have you got?..having no or too small of a skimmer....and not enough LR for filtration and convertion of Left over fish food and fish waste........could be another problem

Just sit down and look at all the possible causes that could could come in line here.....write them down and attack them one at a time.....A combination of small little problem adds up and causes BIG problems....
    Derik...

Clowns are pretty tough though. Think you trigger is beating him up?
    75G, 30G sump.
    Euroreef
    2X250 MH with 2X 55 PCs

Hippo Tang, Tomato Clown, Rusty Angel, Keyhole Angel, Damsel
    Anchor, Turbinaria, Acro,Montis, Xenia, Anthelias, Candycane, Buttons,Bubble, Galaxea, Brain,Cabbage, Hand, weird encrusting coral, LTA, mushrooms

If what he has on his lip is actually something that is attached as compared to his own tissue coming off then it is likely parasitic worms and he should be treated accordingly.
    Book says ... Immobile or mobile skin parasites, visible to the naked eye, usually oblong = parasitic crustaceans or worms
    The other marks that have suddenly appeared may not be related.
    Rob

Quick Update. The clown seems fine now. I feed him with garlic addditives for a week and the issue seems to have cleared up...

Lets keep the fingers crossed.
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    100 pounds LR

Did the issue clear up ... or did the parasite (if it was one) fall off to multiply in the aquarium? Keep an eye on things for a while to be safe.
    Rob

The fish seems clean. My others have no sign of anything... I will keep an eye open
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    100 pounds LR