Question Cyano outbreak.......

Tank has been up for 2 months. Had no choice but to disturbe my sand bed quite a bit the a few daysago (about 1 to 1.5 inch into a 3.5 to 4 inch deep bed) and now have cyano starting to grow on sand.

I assume this happened because I stirred up sand so much?

Kept lights turned off for two days except for a couple of hours each day for fish to eat and for mushrooms.

Had light back on today for five or so hours and it's back almost as bad. Should I keep lights off again for longer, or will this hurt fish etc.?

Tank has 2 chromis, a LMB, a few crabs, snails, toadstool leather and a couple of mushrooms.

Amm. 0.0
    Nitrate 0.0
    Nitrites 0.0
    sg 1.023
    ph 8.3
    temp 78
    phosphate 0.2 (have been using water from store)

Any thoughts, susgestions are appreciated.

PC lighting, only 110w for now

:thanx:

To properelly get rid of this algae using light you need to completely cover (using cardboard and tape) the tank letting absolutely no light in for a whole week. Just make sure you feed everthing first. If you have corals that will not a live a week, then you will need to find a spare tank for them. Just lessening the amount of light each day slows down the algae, it doesn't get rid of it. You need to completely block out light for a whole week to rid of the algae.

I know this definitely works on a freshwater tank, I've never personally tried on SW, so I would get another opinion first.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

The cyano is because of excess nutrients. Your tank is still considered very new at 2 months and the cyano is there because the whole ecosystem has not matured and stabilized yet. Blocking out the light will NOT remove it. Being in the dark will only make it dissapear for when you are looking at it, but once you let the light back in, it will come back right away with a vengeance!! You have to find the root of the problem and correct that first before even working on ridding the tank of it. You have to look at you water quality, your filtering system and how well it exports excess nutirents, and your water movement.

My tank is pretty new as well and I have had the problem in the past( in my first setup before I upgraded). I got cyano in my tank for the second time (first time in the new setup) so I did what I did the first time, get rid of the excess nutrients, growing micro algae in my sump so on and so on. BUT I never knew about water movement and now that you mention it Toutouche, after installing my wave maker two days ago I see it slowly going away...I thought it was do to some carbon I added, but then again the carbon didnít do much the first time. So my wave maker might be the key.....

Cyano grows in low flow areas because this is where nutrients will build up. If you have good water movement everywhere in the tank, the nutrients don't have anywhere to settle and all gets exported.

greg is right as usual: its a bacteria not an algea and I find most tanks even with god flow and setup right still can go thru this phase. It normaly burns itself out if the tank is running right. for some reason or another I also found that water changes do nothing to help, not sure why. good flow,open rock work and skimming should take care of it.

skimmer..........still haven't chosen final one to use, so there is not one in tank yet. don't have sump, not yet anyways, so I was leaning towards the remora pro hob skimmer and a fuge for the time being?

thanks for replys

I have set up 5 new tank in the last 3 years...all of them went throught cyano except my last one...probably because i basically just changed tank and kept all my water and all my rocks and substrates and just swapted it.....

I Too noticed that water change did nothing.But with the correct parameters and a good flow through out the tank,the cyano WILL entually go.....i used to take the maximum i could out with a net and start my Diatom filter to suck the rest........

Most new tanks go throught all kinds of algea phases...
    Derik...

Hi Everyone
    We have struggled with cyano too. It is caused by a few different things in our tank. Over feeding, (my hubbie has a habit of this), "oh but their begging" he says..lol. When my skimmer gets clogged the cyano starts. When the flow is too low, cyano cant get started if it cant sit on anything. In our system too much nutrient in the water from over feeding, and lack of skimmer, or water flow is what causes it to start. Stirring up your sand bed can add lots of muck to your system which would cause too much nutrient. In our newer days we tried erithromycn (it kills it right away but also messes with your natural cycle of bacteria..so, not a good idea) and red slime remover. But now I go to work at what is causing it rather than working on the symptom.
    Charlotte

yep...dont try to hide the problem...but find exactly whats causing it....
    Derik...