Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cycling question.

I was talking to someone today and they told me if i add cured liverock to my new tank there is no need to cycle the tank.. there should be enough bacteria on rocks to convert ammonia, nitrite to nitrate..

its a instant filter as they called it..

but the key is to add stock slowly he said aswell.. add inverts 3-4 days after rock is placed in tank then the next week add couple of small fish.. then the next week add some corals and more small fish (depending on tank size)

is this correct?

The biggest part of sorting out "uncured" rock is waiting for all the dead critters and such to finish dying, turn into ammonia and such. You have to wait, while the bacteria setup the cycle.

With cured rock, someone has done this for you.

Now, with a fresh tank and newly added "cured" rock, you still have to wait will the bacteria, etc., establish.

At no point will it be safe to go from no fish to a whole bunch of fish and expect no problems. As you add stuff to the tank, it takes some time to balance out again. If you add too much, you can get into a downward spiral and end up killing everything in your tank.

So, if you add cured rock, let it stabilize for a few to several days, then add some cleaner crew, let it stabilize, add some more, stabilize, then you can start adding fish and coral (slowly) until you have a decent tank.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Sounds about right to me, I put some 3 year old live rock in my tank 2 weeks into cycling and amonia and nitrites almost instantly disappeared. It probably took a day or 2 until it was ready for some inverts.

I guess the point to uncured rock is its cheaper and while its curing will also cycle the tank at the same time.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

If you add cycled LR in a tank, its true that there might not be any cycle because the LR is already loaded with bacteria, as long as there is little to no die-off between the LFS(or whomever) and your tank.

Stocking slowly is indeed the key...(i.e: Setting up a new tank, you add your dry sand, fill up with SW, add cycled LR and then in theory there is no cycle if there is no die-off cause you have bacteria on your LR which will colonize the sand.)

The reason for stocking slowly is that only your LR will handle the bioload until your sand bed is colonized with bacteria and starts contributing to the filtration of water as well.

AK

EDIT: hehe looks like we all posted at once, within 1 mins of each other hehe
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

Try to get a hold of some substrate from a friend and seed your new tank with that....it will help acceclerate the process also.
    Derik...

Re: Cycling question.

Originally posted by Fisherman
    I was talking to someone today and they told me if i add cured liverock to my new tank there is no need to cycle the tank..]
    Not really. Cured rock will have a die off just getting them to your house. If it's a good store & good rock you won't have particularily high spikes & you'll have a much shorter cycle time than if you used uncured live rock.

But you're still going to have one. To be safe I'd test the water before you start stalking the tank.

Cheers!

Re: Re: Cycling question.

Originally posted by Krugar
    Not really. Cured rock will have a die off just getting them to your house. If it's a good store & good rock you won't have particularily high spikes & you'll have a much shorter cycle time than if you used uncured live rock.

But you're still going to have one. To be safe I'd test the water before you start stalking the tank.

Cheers!
    Not always, if he gets the rock from someone who is tearing his tank apart and he can bring the LR in buckets of cycled tank water he should have no cycle since the LR cannot have any die-off if submerged from one tank to the other during the trip.

Although of course this is perfect transport conditions and you certainly can't expect that from a LFS hehe : But as mentioned, for sure test your water before adding anything!

AK

Good point, I assumed you were getting it from a store.

I also need to get help for my tank stalking.

Normally I'm not that kind of person, but recienlty I've ... well I've been completely obsessed by big tanks.

I follow them around, ducking into alleys when they turn to look. Following them into stores & movies.

I've even *gasp* started collecting pictures of them.

Is there a 12 step program I can tank?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

lol hehe Im obsessed with big tanks too(who isnt in the hobby, now really ??) although mine won't come for at least another year or so hehe

AK

Cool

I'm a little perplexed by this question? what does it mean? Its never a good idea to add stock fast anyways so no matter what your tank will establish itself. even when you order ''uncured rock'' its somewhat cured anyways and you just keep an eye out for ammonia spikes with extra water on hand. really the days of adding a damsel or dead shrimp are gone IMO. you can add a pinch of food but thats about it. The key to success is patience!!!!! so I'm really not sure what your asking FISHERMAN? throw all your established rock in there and wait. a week maybe 2, then add a small crew and the rest of your other tank. then wait somemore.
    what other way is there??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast