Question JBJ Nanocube + sump

Hi,

I have a JBJ Nanocube for a month now... And now I'm looking for a way to add a sump/refugium to my cube. I'm looking for something DIY... I'm ready to do some hole in the hood of the cube to put some pipe...

I was thinking to build an overflow box(that would hang outside the cube) and transfer water from the cube to the box using a syphon. And then from the box to the sump. And after use a pump to bring back the water to the cube.

Let me know if it's possible... And if someone already done something similar could he send me some picture of his setup.

I can be reached at haggus_75@hotmail.com

Thank you,

Hi haggus,

Welcome to the boards. Modding JBJs is almost a sport for nano-reefers. Since I don't have one though I haven't looked into as much.

Have you done any mods to your cube yet or is it still stock?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Mod

Hi,

No my nanocube is stock... Except that I have remove the bio-balls and ceramic ring. I also added another Power Head in the cube for more circulation.

Thank you,

Cool,

I'd suggest drilling the back compartments then. I forget the measurements though, if you post them people here can likely make suggestions as to how big. (Edit: How big the compartments should be / should be divided)

But bascially you'd cut teeth to use them as an over flow. Place the "out" bulk head a little higher to reduce noise and then you can have what ever you want for a sump / 'fuge under the tank with a return pump.

I'd be hesitant to do anything HOB for a JBJ unless you want to loose the canopy & make your own. If you're going to put in MH lighting or drastically upgrade the lights then you'll have to do it anyway, but the easiest way is to pump water into it & let gravity worry about getting it back into your tank.

The problem is it won't add any signifianct volume to your tank. If you want a 10G sump IMHO you're best to drill & not try for a suction style overflow.

Besides your tank is acrylic & it'll drill pretty easy.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

WHile I don't know these tanks at all, I would suggest Krugar's recommendation of using the back compartment as a type of builtin overflow, then the rest would be like a regular setup.
    Ya know, I have always joked about having a nanotank and stock it to the top with coralssome fish and inverts but the trick would br to attach it to a sump of aound 100 gallons!! Thay way everyone would always ask how the water parameters and temp are so stable with all the stuff packed in it, yet be so small ( of course, the sump would be hidden in the basement or something similar).: