Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Info on Sponges.

Hey guys,

Bought the Marine Atlas yesterday and was reading up on Sponges. They mention a Sponge called a "Bee Sponge". Anyone know anything about it? They don't show a picture. I'm more just curious as to what it looks like then anything else.
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...atId=2161&cc=1

/quote

Originating from the Indian Ocean, the Bee Sponge is also known as the Spiny Sponge. They are a beautiful bright orange coloration and have many short branches that come to a sharp point. The Bee Sponge will typically grow in a clustered configuration. They are relatively difficult to maintain, but can have a dramatic effect in a mature reef aquarium.
    The ideal environment for the Bee Sponge is a mature reef aquarium that contains plenty of live rock and corals for the sponge to feed upon. They should be placed out of the direct light, and algae or cyanobacteria should never be allowed to settle in the crevices of the sponge. A moderate, indirect water current will aid in keeping the sponge free of debris.

Never allow the Bee Sponge to be in contact with the open air. If it does contact air, be sure to rotate the sponge in all directions in order to release any air bubbles that may have been trapped in its branches.

Since it is non-photosynthetic, the diet of the Bee Sponge needs to be supplemented with feedings of phyto and zooplankton, marine snow, and by stirring the aquarium's substrate regularly.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

In otherwords, not good for an aquarium!!

Don't know about not good for an aquarium but "relatively difficult to maintain" probably = specialized care that is too time consuming/difficult/frequent for the average hobbyist.

Similar needs as a Gorgonian. I dnn't think I'll be getting one I was just curious as to what they looked like! Thanks Mickyfin, when I searched for it I came up empty handed!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

No problem. Only reason i had it handy was I happened across it the other day when I was browsing so it was fresh in my mind.

They are pretty looking aren't they?

Originally posted by mickyfin
    Don't know about not good for an aquarium but "relatively difficult to maintain" probably = specialized care that is too time consuming/difficult/frequent for the average hobbyist.
    No, I still say "not" good for an aquarium. A healthy sponge filters an incredible amount of water per hour and an enclosed system such as our tanks would not be able to supply enough food for a non photosynthetic type.

Tracy,
    But not ALL gorgs!!!

Originally posted by Toutouche
    No, I still say "not" good for an aquarium. A healthy sponge filters an incredible amount of water per hour and an enclosed system such as our tanks would not be able to supply enough food for a non photosynthetic type.
    What if it was target fed like Sun Corals or juvenile Clam?

Pretty easy to breed all kinds of Phyto these days, if you could figure out the size it eats it could be doable, some people are having success with flame scallops now, another very difficult filter feeder.

Just playing devil's advocate, I have done no research into these animals, but now my curiosity is piqued, can you point me to some material I can read on these guys TouTouche?

You have to read some good books such as the Baensch series. There is one book particularly on sponges.
    The reason I say it is not good to keep is because they don't usually eat phyto only.
    That's one thing I don't like about LiveAquaria, they always use a generic description of things and don't specify each ones particular needs. When people read the descriptions, they tend to believe it. LiveAquaria is there to sell things and while they will sometimes list it as an advanced species, they still make it seem easier than it is. Sponges have a dismal rate in aquariums, unless they are the types that grow by themselves on the rockwork. It's kind of like Dendros and Scleros... very pretty and always available to buy, so many do then watch them slowly die because we still don't knwo enough to maintain them in good health.
    As to the target feeding, sponges filter the water, they don't catch food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast