Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What in gods name is this?

A Bristleworm? Good/Bad? I dont wanna even touch it. 2+ inchs, in this pic it was trying to get into a hermit shell.

That look's like it maybe a fireworm but im not 100% sure though...one of the mods will surely chime in

Here's an article on em - http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/sh...&recnum=SC0113

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

Bristle or fire worm is my guess. If you value your hands, don't touch. They get their names for a reason. Beneficial, though.

Always nice to see weird things when your showing your tank to someone whos never seen a reef tank and you scream... What *@#@$% is that. Thanks for the info guys.

Id say that what it is....as sated previously the spines alot its body contain poisons and cause na extremeli painful and burning sensationi in your skin if you touch it.
    Derik...

Few species of bristleworms can be dangerous for inhabitant, but I think they are really rare...

Steve

Most probably a harmless Bristleworm, albeit a pretty one. I have read that a true bad Fireworm is day active meaning it will not come out only at night time, but rather during the day and full light because it knows it will not end up being food for something else. Was this seen during the day or night? Was it scared of you or if you poke it? True fireworms will erect their bristles and stay put rather than run and hide when bothered. Can you get a clearer pic of it?

I only got 2 pics. This is the second one. It was around 9:30pm with all the lights on. It moved VERY quicky without me touching it. I believe its under a rock that Im trying to grow zoo's on so maybe I'll move the rock and see if I can get a better pic sometime this weekend.

Looks like a birstleworm to me. I got one in on my live rock as well. Same as this one only all gray. From what I've read they're benificial (Most of them). keep an eye on your clearner crew. Some species can grow to be quite large and may need to be removed as some point. They can multiply quickly as well. The small firework "Eurythoe complanata " at the following link (Near to bottom) is very close to your pic.
    The link may help - http://www.reefs.org/library/aquariu...97/0697_2.html

Here is another good link. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bristlewrmfaqs.htm

Hope this helps
    Chris

Well, I'm not an alarmist and 99% of the time I say leave it alone because 99% of the time whatever it is, is safe for the tank...however, my initial, gut reaction to that worm is remove it- if possible. I just say this because I would, if it were in my tank. I very well could be wrong, maybe it is harmless, maybe it just gives me the heebee jeebees.
    How big is it?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast