Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

protein skimmers

Do I need a protein skimmer? I've been running a 30 gal tank for about 6 months now with 35 lbs of live rock as my only filtration. I didn't get a protein skimmer because the guy at the LFS told me I didn't need one. I'm not having any problems but the more I learn about reef aquariums the more I think I should get one.

If yes, does anyone have any suggestions on what type and size I should get. I certainly don't want some ugly box in my tank.

Cheers

what LFS was this?? don't talk to that person anymore.
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMs, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

i would suggest you an Aqua-C Remora...
    if you have a sump and you think about upgrading later on, i would suggest you having a bigger skimmer.

For the moment, the Aqua-C Remora is good enough!
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

It was Big Al's. I thought they new what they were talking about, untill I bought some ick from them :guns:

The LFS guy said I wouldn't need one for my size tank, that the live rock would be enough.

Lifereef products have a really good name. I can't wait to get my skimmer wet. Rumor has it that Harley here makes really good acrylic products for alot less than you would pay in a LFS. Just a thought.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

You don't necessarily need a protein skimmer, it depends on what type of corals you want to keep, if any. Every LFS I talked to said that you dont need one to start, its once you get into trickier corals that it becomes a necessity.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

Theoretically you can get by without a skimmer, but I really can't reccomend it.

Nutrient problems build up over time, and then when the algea explodes it is tough to get things back in line.

A skimmer is especially important if you are new at this. Just about every mistake you make ends up putting nutrients in the water. Having a skimmer can really bail you out.

I you are going to stay with this tank without a sump for a while you need to look at Hang on skimmers. AquaC is very good. I have a big external AquaC skimmer and I am very impressed with both the quality and customer service.

Here is a link:

http://www.proteinskimmer.com/products/Remora.htm

I would suggest you stay away from Seaclones and Prizms. I have seen hundreds of threads complaining about those.

If you decide to go for a sump, an ASM is a great skimmer for the money.

Hope that helps,

Bill

Actually I have a Seaclone running in mine now and I don't really have any complaints with it. Except that the collection cup is a little small. Now I don't really have anything to compare it too. I might be able to compare it a little better in a couple of months when I get the Life reef up and running.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Thanks for all that info Bill!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast