Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Hippo Tang

Blue Hippo Tang

I've looked at the compatibility charts and everything looks good, but can anyone tell me about the behaviour of a blue hippo tang? I wanted to put him in with my maroon tang and chromis (as well as janitor things) but I have a feeling he's rather aggressive.

The hippo tang is always boxed off at the fish store so I have a feeling that he needs a bit of room or is territorial but I'm not sure. Anyone have some idea about these fish?

I have a Blue Hippo Tang (5 inches) in my 60g hex, he seems to be quite happy all the time. Not aggressive at all !!

Mine is the same way. I have a Blue Regal and a Yellow. I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't put two tangs together that have the same shape nose features. Might be rumore mill thou.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Phew, I was going to mention that the one I was looking at was already about 5-6" long so I wasn't sure if he'd get a dominance thing going. He *LOOKS* dosile enough but I only have about 30pds of live rock and there's not alot of hiding places so if he's aggressive, I'm in trouble.

do you have any carpet anemones? because hippo tangs like to lay down on the substrate they can and will be an easy victim for carpets. so thats the only thing i can think of other than compatibility. make sure you quarantine him because they are subseptable to ich.

I'm building a new sump as we speak, will the refug be decent enough for quarantine?

I would definitely recommend a hippo tang. They are so fun to watch zipping in and out. Mine sleeps in the cracks between the live rocks. Not aggressive to my other fishes (angles, clowns).

Ps what is a maroon tang. Never heard of that one.
    75G, 30G sump.
    Euroreef
    2X250 MH with 2X 55 PCs

Hippo Tang, Tomato Clown, Rusty Angel, Keyhole Angel, Damsel
    Anchor, Turbinaria, Acro,Montis, Xenia, Anthelias, Candycane, Buttons,Bubble, Galaxea, Brain,Cabbage, Hand, weird encrusting coral, LTA, mushrooms

Mel
    My hippo is the king/queen of the tank it seems but not aggressive towards other fish at all. Very moody and an aggressive eater but not mean to other fish.

According to Bob Fenner or Anthony Calfo ( I just don't remember who of them have write it...) frome Wetwebmedia.com it is not a good idea to quarantine hippo tang. Here is the what they say about it : This is one of those species that are better off not being purposely quarantined; put another way, IMO (in my opinion), the stress induced via isolation and re-moving Paracanthurus is generally more harmful than the risk of introduction of some contagion. I would run newcomers through a preventative bath/dip of pH adjusted freshwater and promptly place them in the main/display unit.

and here is the link http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paracant.htm

There is other interresting fact that fish in the webpage and on many other topic!!

Steve

Ya mel my hippo sleeps between the rocks too. When you look in at her it looks like the rocks fell on here she's in there so tight. They are a very awesome fish to watch. Mine will be swimming along and all of a sudden she will be swimming upside down!!. I think the creators of "Finding Nemo" did and awesome job portraying that type of fish in general.The way she moves her fins and just the way she swims through the water. IMO.Don't know why I use She. It might be a he!!! I don't know. Is there any way to tell?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast