Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catapillars?

Catapillars?

I'd like to take a picture of these creatures on the bottom of my tank but they only seem to be out at night.

They're basically clear catapillars. About 10-12 legs, two antennae, and ~ 1/2 to 1 cm in length. There is currently about 20 that come out at night times and they don't seem to be at all destructive, but I don't know where they come from. Incidentally I notice more of these things crawling around my feather duster but I don't think they go in/out of it.

Are these shrimp or bristleworms or what? I noticed the picture of the bristle worms and I can't say it looks fat with tiny legs, but more like long and slender with tiny legs and can curl up.

Sounds like cope pods. There realy good in a tank and you probably braught them in with your live rock. If you dont have a fish that feeds on them youll soon see hundreds of these. Mine used to come out durring the daytime as well. Look up a picture of copepods and then you can be more certain thats what they are since you cant take a pic for anyone here to closely observe, hope that helps. Where are you surfing these days?
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Those wouldn't be Copopods. Copopods look like tiny bugs with a center body and 6 or 8 legs ( can't remember which right now).
    They are probably Amphipods. These are also very good as they are basically live food for anything that can catch them and at night, they scurry around cleaning and eating leftover of anything. These guys have a curved back and when they turn as they scurry, they always remind me of the motorcycles in that old movie called "Tron" in the way they lean as they would turn corners.

Phew, as long as they're helpful. They do seem to be scavengers eating algae. It's just that I didn't see them for the first few months that I had the liverock and well, anything that comes out at night is always suspicious to me

MOst of the good guys come out at night too because during the day, it's open hunting season on them by all the fishies!! By the way, a "true" Fireworm ( very bad) will come out during the day in full light because it knows nothing will eat or attack it!! So the light/dark thing is not always a good referance point.

Do they look like this?
    This is a pic of a Gammarid Amphipod taken from Dr. Ron's website. They are the good guys I was talking about.

I'd say that's an exact pic, although that one looks a little bigger

Basically because of their size, I thought they were a miniature shrimp (since they showed up shortly after the shrimp did) and they scurry like a shrimp and have antennae. I wonder what took them over 6 months to come out of the live rock?!

Thanks for clearing up that id descrepancy Tout.
    Jlink, they were probably too small for you to see for a while.
    Where are you surfing these days?

They are a type of shrimp, kinda..., I think..., at least that's what people say...

Yo Jklink, I cant help but be intrigued when someone else from Montreal is into surfing, where are you surfing these days? Do you travel lots? When I lived in montreal I used to take off for a 5 hour drive to Maine once in a while. The surf was usualy small mushy and powerless, had to make the move out to the pacific, world apart!!! Fill me in Dude.

He probably surfs the net!!! Couch surfer!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast