Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search and identify

Well, I thought that since everyone had been so helpful lately that I'd post a pic and try to knock off a few identifications at the same time. Now I appologize about the microbubbles (still fighting those issues until I finish my new sump) but here's the pic along with what I do know about in the picture (moving left to right):

Note: I'm most concerned about #6 and #7 because they've only started to grow in the last month and well, I can't google what they might be?!

1) One maroon clown

2) Some sort of hair algae or coral? I have
    tons of these things on my live rock. It looks like Don King's hairdo and it can retract when I or a fish go near it. You can see some similar one's on the right side as well.

3) Down front is the remains of a purple whip. He came attached to the feather duster so they didn't charge me extra. However, he didn't survive more than a month because I couldn't figure out how to nurse him to health

4) The feather duster. Healthy with 2 crowns

5) In front of the feather duster is what I believe to be bubble algae?

6) In the back you can see a tall brown mass that appears to be some sort of algae. It looks extremely similar to one's you'd find in a freshwater tank and has leafy brown edges.

7) Beside the brown mass (still on the back rock) is a coral, is this a type of disc coral? It has some green shoots that come out of that eventually open into more of the soft coral edges. It's beautiful and I don't want to lose it. Can I feed these and my polyp's anything? I've managed to keep my polyp's despite me only giving my tank fish flakes but I think my luck may one day run out.

I also appologize for the quality of my camera.. It makes it hard to see some things (ie., the clown). The microbubbles have also made it hard to ever make a decent pic of the tank (sigh).

The thing with the Don King hairdo are called Aiptasia. They are a very well known and hated aquaium pest. They are a type of anenome that reproduce quickly and pack a powerful sting that can kill corals.

As for 7 and 8, they are types of Macro Algaes (I believe #7 is called Sargassum or something like that). They are both pretty much harmless as long as you prune them back and prevent them from taking over everything. I use to have some in my tank, but one day it just died back never to return again.

#7 definitely grows like a weed. Anything that can get that big in a month is rather mind boggling.

Is there anything in my tank that might be making these grow out of control? The levels are pretty much always on par but I seem to be getting some weird things growing. Furthermore, I noticed my polyp's going away after the Aiptasia showed up

I wouldn't consider them weird. It just shows that you got some pretty good live rock since it does have so much diverse life on it.

Sorry, I can't answer your question regarding what makes things like that macro algae grow. I really don't know much about them.

The stuff on the rocks that looks like "Don King's hair" is aiptasia and by the looks of it you have a few of them. Do a search for this and you will find various methods of disposal, which I recommend, since if you don't, they will spread further. My personal favorite method is injection with a srynge and Kalk paste.

The "brown mass" is macro algae, and the reason it is growing like a weed is becuase this appears to be a new tank...and probably has lots of nutrients. The good news, is that this stuff is keeping you from having lots of micro algea.

Definately bubble algea in front of the fanworm. A good sign that your water quality is good, but remove it by hand and try not to break the bubble.

if your not dosing kalk yet, go to the lfs and buy a little vial called Joes juice. its made to kill Don Kings hairdoo.:silly:

as for yur microbubble prob. just as long as the overflow output is in the water in your sump and facing up, the bubbles will escape before ever returning into your display tank. i used two45 degree elbows to aim the overflow output upwards. since then my display hasnt seen one microbubble. if you want me to eloborate i can.

zookeeper: I appreciate the bits/pieces on how nutrient rich my tank might be. I was fearing it was in the downward spiral. The tank is doing quite well in the algae area but I also figured that was do to the good cleaning crew I bought from Ivan I've also looked up how to kill those hairdo's; injection seems to be the next step.

principl: I appreciate your input as well. I'll start my research on this 'joes juice' and hopefully I'll be up and running again. Also, I'm intrigued about your microbubble solution in your pump. Currently my mag 9.5 (return) is pointed up and takes a few turns but when it hits the water it still has many bubbles. I guess I don't understand where your bubbles might be escaping. My new sump will have 3 baffles so I'm trying to combat part of my problem with that.

That last thing you're asking about is kind of hard to see. To me it looks like 2 different things. Those green shoots look like a common algae that often shows up in new tanks called Neomersis sp. They don't get huge and once they die off, they don't usually come back. Then the other part looks more like the remains of a Derasa clam believe it or not, or some type of Pavona coral or similar. Can you get a closer pis of it? I'm curious also as to what it is!!

just as long as the overflow output is facing up the air wants to escape hitting the surface before getting to the pump.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast