Thread: Uv

Uv

Hi guys... how long am i supppose to run my UV? i have kept it on sice I bought it , WHOOPS!!

haha
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    Japanese Swallowtail Angel Female
    100 pounds LR

A uv should be run all the time and the bulb should be changed every 6 monthes or so.
    Salty will have some good tips and more specific info for you I'm sure..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Matt is correct .. The Best arrangement is to run the unit 24/7 and replace the bulb as per manufactures instructions. It is usually at 12 month intervals. Running them on timers dose not manage the risk nearly as well even if the UV on a timer is a large unit. Running on a timer is sort of like wearing your seatbelt 60% of the time and hoping that if you need it it will be during one of those 60% of the times it's worn.
    Rob

good point... thanks for the tip
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    Japanese Swallowtail Angel Female
    100 pounds LR

Do some UV bulbs need to be replaced sooner than others? My LifeReef 40W suggested changing every 12 months.
    Susan

I have over the years I have been in the hobby used 3 different sizes and manufacturers of UV sterilizers. All 3 called for the bulbs to be replaced on the 12 month interval. The earlier models also needed to have the quartz sleeve replaced from time to time but I do not recall the interval. You would be wise to check the equipment manual for details about bulb replacement schedules. If you don't have the manual check out the manufacturers web site if they have one. You may also get the information from the new bulb packaging materials.
    Based on my experience I would not exceed the 12 month mark if instructions can not be obtained.
    Rob