Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying Uncured Live Rock - The Good and The Bad

Hello again and thank you for this wonderful site !!!!

Planing to buy some LR for a new 22g. I thought of getting a full box of 35-45 pounds of uncured LR. Just for the fun of it ! I understand that there might be some nice surprises as in any other "bulk" purchases besides the lower price. What would be the usual "goodies" and " baddies" you could get in an unopened box of uncured box of LR as compared to cured LR.
    What are the advantages of getting uncured LR ?
    What are the disadvantages of getting uncured LR ?
    Would you rather get 2-3-4 different types of LR ?
    What is the most rewarding type of LR in terms of live forms (cured and uncured) ?

The best for all of you !!!

"What are the advantages of getting uncured LR ?"

Price. Uncured is cheaper than cured.

"What are the disadvantages of getting uncured LR ?"

Your uncured rock will cause a "cycle" in your tank because of the die-off. If you are startin a new tank, this isn't a concern, but if you are adding rock to an existing tank, it could very well kill stuff that you don't want killed.

The other disadvantage, is the possibility that you might introduce stuff to your tank that you don't ulitmately want ( and may be difficult to remove later), such as mantis shimp, predatory crabs, etc.

"Would you rather get 2-3-4 different types of LR ?"

Three years later, it really won't matter since most of the "extras" probably won't live long-term. The main thing is that the rock is live.

"What is the most rewarding type of LR in terms of live forms (cured and uncured) ?"

Good coraline coverage, and shapes regarless of whether it is cured or uncured.

Hello

Yes , price is an advantage with large quantities.

"Goodies" ? or "Pests" ?
    Mantis shimp, predatory crabs are in some instances very much desired by some of us.
    What are the unanimously unwanted beings in our tanks that may come from an uncured LR ???
    If you end up with 20-30 turbo snails, 20-30 blue legged crabs, etc out of a 50 pounds box of uncured LR , isn't this going to cut down a bit on cost?

Price should be an advantage in all quantities of cured vs. uncured. Having a dealer import a box of live rock, and hold in in storage tanks for three to four weeks while it cycles (and becomes "cured")carries with it an inventory cost, which is passed on to the consumer.

"Mantis shimp, predatory crabs are in some instances very much desired by some of us."

Yes, I'm aware of that, which is why I wrote: "the possibility that you might introduce stuff to your tank that you don't ulitmately want" and in perticular the use of the word "might".

"What are the unanimously unwanted beings in our tanks that may come from an uncured LR ???"

There are none then (unanimous), since by your own logic, at least some people will still want even those organisms that the majority don't.

Having turbo snails and hermit crabs hitchike on the uncured rock will cut down on cost, but don't expect 40-60 of them.

As long as you are not adding uncured rock to an existing tank, and apparently don't mind getting a mantis shrimp or a predatory crab, then there is really no reason why you shouldn't buy uncured.

Add a high salinity dip to weed out the crabs and such, your risks will go down.

Plus, cured live rock from any source will still have these hitchhikers, both desired and undesired.

The main "saving" from cured rock is time. Plus, typically, you can point at a piece and say "that one".

The main "saving" from uncured rock is money.

Depending on your LFS (and their source), the cured live rock will be stripped of more or less hitchhikers and coral.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thank you !!!!
    All clear now.

Uncured you have a chance of getting an interesting coral, urchin larva, and other critters. I seem to recall somebody ending up with a small octopus in his uncured.

When the lfs cures the rock for you they tend to pick over it too so if there was anything cool on the rock it'll likely be sold seperately.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I got a dam mantis in mine. He's one of the little critter that I didn't want!!!! wish I had opened the box and it overflowed with little cute blue legged hermit crabs...... To good to be true.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

According to Calfo and Fenner in the book «Reef Invertebrate» it is better to cure yourself your live rock, because if you do it with care you will have pieces of live rock with more type of animals and plants on it! ( like : algae, corals, zooplankton etc...)

The next time I will buy LR I will buy it uncured for sure!!

Another thing to take into consideration is smell. Depending on how long it's been from when the rock leaves the ocean until it gets to your place uncured rock can be pretty bad. If you're talking about a large quantity of it you may not be able to do it where you live. That said, if you can get it fresh it's awesome. I bought all the rock for my 300g from Ivan here at Aquaria Canada. It was uncured Fiji and VERY fresh. No smell at all. Lots of coralline algae and critters, no bad ones so far, and the tank didn't even cycle. Lots of really big pieces too.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast