Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea slugs!

Sea slugs!

I was planning on ordering a sea slug to help with an algae problem but I read they don't live long. Is it a problem with the fact they're hard to keep in captivity or their lifespan isn't very long? I understand that once the algaes gone he'll be starving so I'll give him away to anyone else who's able to feed him. Is there any particular species that has a better success rate than another or is there ones that clean or eat better? Thanks in Advance for any help on this.
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Depends on the type of seaslug. Some of them are very specific eaters and only eat one type of algae. Lettuce seaslugs (sometimes called nudibranchs but they aren't) are like that. They'll eat bryopsis but once it's gone they die. This is how it works in nature as well, for whatever reason a type of algae gets out of control, a critter shows up to eat it, once the algae is gone, so is the critter. Just one of natures checks and balances.
    Susan

Hi Flame Angel, do you know what type would be best suited for hair algae! I've been waiting for a long time and one hasn't shown up yet , so I'm going out to buy one!:
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

I put in a lawnmower blenny and a sea hair.
    No more hair algae.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I agree with pwall. I don't know of a seaslug that specializes in hair algae. Long spined diadema urchins do a great job on it too.
    Susan

Don't urchins also eat your coraline algae as well ! I've got a LM blennie but this is getting way beyond just him !

Hi Mpleleaf.

the other thing I did was to scrap the hair algae off the rocks and syphon it out. If you did this, don't let it spread around the tank.
    Also, I started using only distilled water until I can get an RO/RI unit set up. It's gets a little expensive, but well worth it.
    My tank was infested with hair algae about a month or so ago. Now, there is none at all. :-)
    Regards,
    Patrick.

Do you what species of seahare you have or had. I've been using NSW with tapwater top upsand have scraped and vacuumed the algae but its persistant! Ordered the RO/DI unit from aquasafe, should be here early next week!

I'm not sure what type it is (perhaps was). I haven't seen it for quite some time.
    It was really ugly though.... :-)
    Regards,
    Patrick.

mpleleaf,

Here's 1 link with some info on it from RC. I wouldn't get one as they can be lethal for other things in your tank if you have bad luck with your tank.
    Do a search on RC for "Sea hare". I got at least 20 responses if not more and you'll find all the info you'll need.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...light=sea+hare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast