Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live rock in the sump

I've been reading quite a bit about people using live rock in their sumps to help with filtration and to help combat microbubbles a bit. My question is, will the live rock stay live in the sump (ie., without light) and what are the advantages? Live rock is expensive enough, let alone wasting it to throw it in the sump.

well in most sumps.. they have reverse lighting.. tank light on from 10am-10pm and sump lights on 10:00pm-10:00am. which also give live in sump..

hope that helps.

gah, then i think that people have too much money

there can be also total darkness. with this comes different filter feeders etc. its called a cryptic zone.you could use a bunch of base rock with a few pieces of live rock.

My reef's sump is unlit in the basement. I do keep a little live rock in there, just some rubble pieces. There are always worms and pods living in it that get sucked down from the tank. Aiptasia seems to do just fine in the dark too *sigh*
    Susan

For most people, sumps are NOT lit. It's refugiums that are lit. Nowm having said this, there are many people ( myself included) who light both..., on reverse timing from the main tank. People light the refuges because there is algae in there and it needs light to grow. The reason people "use" the algae is twofold. One to remove nutrients and filter the water. The other is that when the light is on, they are photosynthesizing and removing C)2 from the tank.
    Most sumps do not have anything growing in them but are instead used to increase total volume, add equipment such as heaters, skimmers, etc...The there are people who do in fact have stuff also growing in their sumps. In my case, I have a Volitan Lionfish in my 200 gallon sump along with various snails and a few brittle/serpentstars. ( yeah, it's bigger than my 125 gallon display tank!!) along ith various algae that grew there on its'own and from overflowing from my refuge. I also have tons of various sponges, featherdusters, etc, but these all thrive in total darkness too. I do have some LR in there along with all the skeletons of corals that have died over time. They make great rubble for animals to hide in, including the bigger animals such as the brittlestars and my Lionfish.
    As John mentioned, a dark filtering area is called a Cryptic zone and all kinds of things grow there that are actually very efficient filter feeders which in turn help filter the water.

My sump will include a plenum sand filter so I will need to add critters or manually stir the gravel once a week. I think adding some critters is the way I will but they will only be sand sifters. It is likely a good place for a few conchs.
    Rob

Yes, Conchs are definitely good for a sump that has a sandbed.

How many do you think I should have in a sump that has about 2.3 sq. ft. of surface area .. 2 inches deep.
    Rob

I would love to know the same thing. I just set up my sump/fuge. Added the light last night. It has a couple inches of aragonite. Will add rock from other tanks. Surface area is a bit smaller though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast