Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hello there....new here

hello everybody

I had found this old tank (3 yrs old) in my garage. i think is a 20 gallons but I am not sure.

I want to start a salt water aquarium and I have no idea what to buy. First I would like to have the minimum requirements (for now) because during the summer I'll work and I can get the expensive stuff than.

I want to know how deep the sand needs to be; then what about live rock? how many pounds ? I'll also need a good filter and light, right? test kits and ... I have read that u need a few weeks (more or less) for the aquarium to cycle

I would like to have an anemona and corals, and those cool looking like "mushrooms" plants, 2 clownfish a crab or something small with a shell in the back (I found it really cool) and also a fish that I saw today but can't remember the name ; is it too much for such a small tank?

well....that's all for now

Hard to tell from the picture exactly how big that tank is. Can you provide dimensions?

You can also use this calculator to firgure out the water volume

http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/areajava.html

If it indeed is only 20 gallons, this might be a bit small for a beginner. Remember, "the larger the tank, the more room for error".

thx for the link...the result was 20 gallons
    I was reading on a site abou so called nano-systems......well...mine is gonna be one

Why not start with a standard 55 gallon, and use the 20 as the sump?

Thats a very good point Zoo. I personally have no experience with nano-systems, but I'd do some searching here and on other similar sites to tryto obtain as much info as possible on the elements of a proper nano-tank. Maybe start a list of your equipment here on this thread for people to comment on....

Welcome, and good luck, you'll find tons of help on this board!

Walmart has a 55 glaaon tank for pretty cheap. Thats what I have now. Comes with a stand too. Good starter tank.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

do u know the price for a 55 gallon?

anyway I'll go tomorrow at the shop and check for the price....on the other hand I can use those money to start my 20 gallon tank
    well, on a budget is had to decide

From what I here it is really hard to keep the parameters in the "Norm" with a smaller tank. I have the book "Saltwater Aquariums For Dummies" and they say in there that it's not a good idea to go with anything smaller than a 55 gallon just starting out because the parameters will fluctuate way to much. IE. Salinity and temperature just to name a couple.

The tank and stand, filter, heater, and a pile more crap for something like $269.00 plus tax. I've had no problems with it so far. Knock on wood!!!!The one thing that I've learned in this hobby so far is not to go for second best. For example if you set that tank and the paramters start to jump all over the place you will find your tank more like a chore than something to look at and relax too. Hope this helps. Mostly just my own opinion thou.....:bananadan
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Welcome cokevanilla!

Mike..... I looked at these tanks when I was looking to buy my tank. I heard from a few people that the 55g from Walmart have fairly thin glass for a tank this size. Nice price though.

take a look here ...wow this 20 gallon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast