Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dosing kasswasser to maintain Ca

I'm thinking about dosing it to maintain Ca level. How would you guys do it ? Do you buy dosing device or DIY ?

thanks

I DIYed up a little Kalk dripper using some rigid tuning, some airline tubing and an airline valve I got at Big Als for like 60 cents.

Dosing Kalk made a huge difference in my tank BTW. Coraline algae is beginning to grow and nuisance algae is dying off.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

im going to start kalk in a month or 2.. can't afford to add it to my tank right now..

Mickyfin, do you have any details on how you rigged it up? Do you have any problems with the tube or air valve clogging?
    thanks.
    thien

Clown_Fish, it's your choice...you can do it yourself. Have a look at the attached thread for some idea's...there are other post's on the board you can search for as well.

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...=kalk+AND+drip

Or you can buy something like a Kent Doser...I'm pretty sure Ivan sell's them. If you do a search in his Dry Goods section you should be able to find what I'm referring to.

Or you can a Kalk Reactor...which is a whole other conversation as there are a few methods to hook this device up.
    Keep passing the open windows!

Thien, no issues with clogging yet. I clean the nozzle in vinegar every week or so.

Basically its a 2 gallon container with two small holes in the lid. In the first hole I have rigid tubing extending into the container. The rigid tubing stops about two inches from the bottom. Attached to the rigid tubing is flexible tubing with a valve at the end to control drip rate. This goes over my tank's water line.

In the second whole is a small piece of flexible tubing. i blow in this to start my siphon. Make sure the end of this tube in the container is above the high water line, I learned the hard way a reverse siphon of Kalkwasser tastes awful.

I add a couple of table spoons of Kalk to the container, mix well with water then place above my tank. Once all the sludge settles to the bottom (few hours to a day), I make sure my rigid tubing is above the sludge. Then I blow into the air tube to begin the siphon. I adjust to about a drip a second, and repeat as the water needs topping off.

Let me know if it's clear or if you need a poorly drawn diagram :-P
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

This link (DIY section at Reefkeeping.com) sounds like what you're describing, and is where I got the plan for my own kalk dripper. Works well, simple, no clogging when used and maintained as directed.

DIY Kalk Dripper
    - Alan

Originally posted by mickyfin
    Thien, no issues with clogging yet. I clean the nozzle in vinegar every week or so.

Basically its a 2 gallon container with two small holes in the lid. In the first hole I have rigid tubing extending into the container. The rigid tubing stops about two inches from the bottom. Attached to the rigid tubing is flexible tubing with a valve at the end to control drip rate. This goes over my tank's water line.

Thanks. How do you attach the flexible tubing to the rigid tubing.?

You mentioned a valve AND a nozzle. Are they the same thing?

And the valve, is that an air valve? One of those things that you can adjust that squeezes the flex tubing to adjust the flow rate?

Last question, when you say "This goes over my tank's water line" does that mean it is below the water line??
    thanks.
    thien

Cool

better question is, do you need KALK water? I found it a lot of trouble for a tank that didn't need it. once you get into lots of LPS and SPS then its good but for mainly softies and the off hard coral I see no need IMO. I have no idea what corals you keep.

i;ve noticed that even with soft corals.. Kalk will make a bit of a difference with coraline algae and overal stability of the water.. IMO..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast