Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cave Mushroom?

Cave Mushroom?

I was given a single green mushroom on the weekend, it was all curled up in a little ball in it's original tank, I took it home, put it in my tank, near the front, on the ground. It stayed curled up, but kept moving into the shady areas. We played the "Move the shroom to the front" for a while, I gave up and went to bed. Next morning it was back where it wanted to be, in the shade, fully flattened out, like a pancake. I thought it was dead, but no, it was not. I moved it back to the front, went to work...guess where it was when I got home!!! My question, it there such a thing as a shadow mushroom?? I guess I better leave it where it wants to be. How well will it do there? any experiences with an unruly mushroom?

If you want this mushroom to be happy and healthy you are best to let it settle where its wants to. Repeatedly handling it and moving it is not a good idea. let it settle in and I m sure it will do fine.
    Rob

there a reason why it moving there and its probably pissed at you for makin him walk the ame route over and over again. mushrooms do better in shaded areas especilly if you have intense light.

I think it's more an issue of how the flow is in your tank. When you place it in the front out in the open, there is probably more current there which sweeps it away. The spot it always seems to be landing in is probably a somewhat calm dead spot caused by the rock and where the current passes through.

yup that also makes more sense.

As to the lighting thing, it also depends on the color of them. I have found that the regular green striped ones like much more light than the red, blue or purple ones.

if the thing is actually moving on it's own, over the course of a day- It ain't a mushroom! However, if the current is moving it as Greg suggests, I'd put it somewhere else where it can adhere to a rock and be in the light without being blown around.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I had the same problem with a recordia.The darn thing wouldnt go where I wanted it to go.It kept moving itself around I even glued it to a rock and by morning he was moved half way accross the tank and fuly opend up into almost like a cup shape.It was awesome so I leave it where it is now.
    Bubbles....bubbles...my bubbles....

Geopod,
    Did it drag the rock with it?!! :

Matt,
    It's the aliens I tell ya!! They here and are going to take over our tanks!!! AAIIYEEEEEE!!!!!!

Toutouche and Reefmutt are correct. Mushrooms (as we call them) from the species Discosoma, Rhodacits and Ricordia cannot "move" on thier own....especialy if they are attached to any subtrate. They can slowly "ooze" accross a rock they are attached to but thats it. They can however, unattach and drift in the current to someplace else...usually if they are crowded or unhappy where they are.

If you are having a problem with an unattached "drifter", place a drinking glass in your tank, place some live rock rubble in the bottom of the glass, and place the mushroom on top. Leave it for a few weeks and it should attach. Once it is attached, use some crazy glue gel to attach the piece of rock anywhere you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast