Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cleaner shrimp molting?

I was looking at my tank this morning and 2 of us agreed that my shrimp was indeed dead. The shell was empty and it was a complete exoskeleton of my cleaner shrimp .. Unfortunately I was late for work and couldn't get it out, but when I returned tonight I saw the shrimp walking around .. am I nuts or can shrimp molt?

Cool

shrimp do indeed molt.

You're not nuts...shrimp will molt. That's how they grow.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Personally I think we are all nuts. We are trying to grow a little piece of the ocean in our living rooms. But maybe thats why we all get along so well.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

my cleaner shrimp molted yesterday.
    TANK -35 Gallon with 15 gallon sump/fuge
    LIGHTS - T5HO 36" 165 total watts
    FLOW - Mag 7, fluval 304, 201 powerhead
    OTHER - seaclone 100 skimmer, RO/DI water

My Dog Molted!!!!!!! He was a Chihuahua yesterday and today he's a Great Dane:biggrinbo :biggrinbo :dance: :lol: :jump3:
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

You don't have to bother removing the exoskeleton. Many critters including the shrimp will often eat some of it afterwards to regain some Iodine and other trace elemants in the skin. Don't worry if the shrimp is more reclusive after molting, their new skeleton is soft and they are vulnerable at this period till it hardens. They usually hide more while this is happening. It's important to know that if your water parameters are off when a shrimp molts, it can have a problem making a new skeleton and can die from the result.

Just the other day I saw my Emerald crab crawl to the underside of a rock.

Then about 20 minutes later he was hanging lifeless from the same rock. His claws swinging in the current.

Then a slightly larger Emerald crap walked over and tore a little piece off of the dead one and ate it.

Of course, this was the same crab after molting.

All exoskeleton creatures molt. They pull themselves out of the old body, expand a bit and harden up a new skeleton. They tend to be vulnerable at this stage and hide if they can.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Originally posted by cres
    a slightly larger Emerald crap walked over
    Heh, heh..., I'd like to see that!! Mr. Hanky of the ocean!!!!!

Whew... I honestly thought that I must be nuts. I admit that I may have had a beer or two last night but what I saw this morning was DEFINITELY an exoskeleton and I didn't see it when I returned home from work but what I did see was the real thing.

I do appreciate the immediate responses to this message since I basically considered my shrimp dead since I couldn't see him but I could see the skeleton. I installed my new sump the other day and although most of the params looked on I didn't check them all and well, I figured that may have bit me in the backside (I know, I know, don't be so keen to get new stuff up and going). However, after you spend a few days building a sump and new plumbing you're just too excited to see it go!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast