Thread: Flatworms

Angry Flatworms

i bought liverock from a established tank at a good price lol.. but i was looking at my tank and all is well with wired little life forms..

Then i noticed a big green/olive colour flatworm.. with the hammerhead appearance.. with 1 red dot.. (that looks like its bum) I've seen only 3 on the glass.. but they don't move much lol.. i have lots of clear flatworms that looks like their getting eaten by these bigger ones lol..

anyhow since there are no corals in my tank and only 2 clownfish (skunks) i think it would be best to dose Flatworm exit now..

any advice would be helpful in the use of FWexit..

Thank you..

just a note.. This is not my nano tank which i sell my corals from this is a new tank!! Just so the people who bought frags don't have to worrie lol..

Fisherman - I would advise you to see what type of flatworms you have. According to Fenner at WWW and from my personal experience, the majority of these "bugs" will cycle through a population boom and bust with little noticeable impact.

That being said, some species can reach plague proportions, if you have red flatworms, I believe that's a bad thing.

I wouldn't necessarily dose exit at this stage but if you decide to -

1. Try to suck as many out as you can. When they die, many will release toxin into your tank.
    2. Run carbon after you dose.

http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html should help.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

mickyfin is right, there are some types of flatworms that cycle through without any problems. However, if you wait to see if the ones you have are indeed the ones that propagate to plague proportions you may wish you had just used Flatworm Exit when you first noticed them. The typical "red" flatworms are actually brownish and do have a phase in which they appear a drab olive colour. They have a red dot and a three pronged end. I had a serious plague of these in my reef tank before Flatworm Exit was invented. I treated my tank with it and haven't seen a flatworm since.
    Susan

i have those.. i will FWexit the tank this weekend..

since i have no corals in yet its a good time..

The best time is when you don't have many flatworms. I treated a fully stocked tank and had no losses because I spent a whole winter painstakingly reducing the numbers of flatworms first. Flatworm Exit isn't toxic to anything but flatworms. However, dead flatworms are VERY toxic - the more you have the bigger the risk.
    Susan