Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Little Giant pump

Hello. I was wondering about the line of Little Giant pumps. I might be getting one and was wondering how good are they? How quiet are they? I might be getting a 3-MDQX-SC. What do ya think? It's for a return back to my tank.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I have a 4-MDQX-SC (for my skimmer)that has been running non stop for about 2 years. I have never had a problem with it so IMO they are good pumps...the only down side is that they are noisy. If you need a return pump, you could go with the Mag pumps if you are planning on having it submersed in the sump.

I actually wanted something that would be on the outside. I already got the hole drilled. I think it looks alot cleaner if it was outside. I like things clean!!! I'm a bit of a freak. Maybe I'll just go with a Mag 9.5 or something like that.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I would not put the Mag 9.5 inline because there is a lot of people complaning about leaking. I have the Velocity t4 and i am speechless about that pump! You wont heard anything from it except if you get your ear next to it and wait a few seconds. :-P
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

While I don't have a lot of experience with the Little Giant pumps, I know it all depends on which model you get. Some are very quiet and some you would have trouble hearing a jet takeoff if it was near the pump. The Velocity's are indeed exceptionally quiet, but that is only because they do not have a fan to help cool. having said this, it might cause heat issue problems if you have a snmaller tank.
    I have used Mag pumps for a long time and even with repeated opening to clean and such, I have "never" had any problems with them leaking. I think the problems lie in how the people handle/service tham. If the seal is placed crooked, you will have leaks but that goes for any pump.

I'm still on the hunt for a new pump. Sorry for all the questions about them but I fell that everyone in here has alot more experience at this than I do, so why not ask the experts. I want to do this right the first (or Second as the case may be) time. I got a little extra money comming soon and need to get one for the new aquarium. So why not do it right.Cheers
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I have heard that the 3 series of little giant pumps make the most noise. I was told this by a distributer of little giant. They are, however, good workhorse pumps. I've been running a mag 12 plumbed outside for a year and a half and it has not caused me one problem. And they are obviously very quiet.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Ya i'm leaning more towards the Mag12 myself I think. Or the Velocity t4. Not to sure yet.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

The T4 is a COMPLETELY silent pump when mounted properly. Short of moving up to Reeflow Pumps IMO you can't go wrong.
    Rob

how would you mount something like that.....well any pump for that matter. I was going to mount it on a piece of rubber and neoprene??? Would that work?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast