Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sick fish at LFS

I was in the LFS the other day and was looking around at the selection of Marine Fish they had in stock. I saw a small, but still pretty, coral beauty. It had, hands down, the worst case of Ick I have ever seen. I would love to take the little guy home and treat him appropriately and nurse him back to health, but I am sure as heck not going to buy a sick fish at a ridiculous price when they don't even have a return policy on healthy fish.

Also, they get in all kinds of mushrooms, anenomes, etc, but the light is so crappy they only look good for maybe 3 days and then they go down hill, look horrible and no one buys them, so they die. I think that if a LFS is going to hire employees, they should have 2 things: 1st and foremost proper equipment and 2nd TRAINING - how can they expect a highschool student to know how to take care of a bunch of species he/she knows little or nothing about.

If the LFS would take proper care of their animals and kept them alive, maybe they could lower their prices and not have to make up for "lost inventory".

BTW, this is Meagan, not Mike
    :mad2: :wtf: :YELL2: :huh??: :frustrate
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Hi Meagan. LFS's have a horrible reputation for just that reason. Either the livestock are horrible, the staff lack knowledge/training or the stock is way overpriced.
    As far as the beauty is concerned, they may sell it to you at a reduced price, to make back some of the cost. My husband brought home a rainford goby that was starving at our lfs and we have been able to bring it back from the brink. I believe he bought it for 1/3 the retail cost. It you want to try and save it, they make be willing to bargain. Just remind them that they will not be able to sell it at full retail, and they may agree with you

Hi Meagen,
    I know the LFS you are talking about, and have seen their poor livestock. Here's another little tit-bit, they copper treat their sick fish and leave the inverts in. Which probably explains why the can't even keep mushrooms alive.
    John

That just goes to prove that they have NO IDEA what they are doing. The manager tells us that he's trying to get a "better dealer" so he can put the prices down on the Livestock (I'll believe that when I see it). When the mark-up is 400% it's hard to give anyone a good deal. It's just complete and utter greed on the part of the company, no one needs 400% profit.
    I hate to see any animal suffer, it just breaks my heart to see such a beautiful specimen die from neglect at the hands of inexperienced staff. I can understand that they can't get attached to every animal that goes through that place, but decent living conditions should be expected.
    With the amount of time and not to mention $$ that people put into this hobby, I don't think it's wrong for us to expect quality livestock. I'd just like to take the people in charge and bop their heads together and knock some sense into them.
    IMO if they spent the $$ on proper set ups for the animals and dropped the price to 200% mark up instead of 400%, they could increase the quality of their livestock, decrease the price of the animals and increase sales. The math is simple, selling twice as much livestock at half the price still equals the same amount of money.
    We have bought multiple items from all over the Maritimes and have done so for the quality of the product, I don't mind driving for a couple of hours to get a healthy animal.

Sorry for my ranting, I'm just really P.O'd that they don't have BASIC business management skills, or the where-with-all to care for the animals they sell properly.

What this whole issue comes down to is:
    If they don't take pride in their animals, why should we trust the quality??
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Meagan, I'm very much in agreement with you and what really ticks me off is the fact if it was a cat or a dog kept under this disgrace the SPCA would shut them down. As a matter of fact I sent a email off to an animal rights activists about the condition at a similar store here at home which I am going to assume is part of the same chain. He told me that the SPCA is so busy they probably dont have the time to investigate or the knowledge to know the difference either! SAD !!
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

It is very sad that there is not more done for fish. Like mpleleaf said if it was a Cat or Dog..... The same goes for shipping. Explain to me how a major Airline can bump a box of live fish and let it sit in an Airport for a whole day before sending it to it's destination. It's simple, the fish can't cry and let the people know "HEY! I'm a live animal and can't be left here or I'll die!" Very sad!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

I couldn't agree more, I have half a notion to write a letter to the head of the LFS chain and let them know the state the animals are in. I'm actually going to look into it. I'll keep everyone posted.

Meagan
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

It won't do you any good, I've met the man and he's a bigger a** than most of his employees. You summed it up in a 5 letter word "greed" and all these guys see is dollar signs and they don't care how they get their money!! The only way to get your point across is dont shop there! Sad to say!!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Sorry, the man I met was the regional manager for the atlantic provinces and not the owner, just to clarify!

Originally posted by mpleleaf
    He told me that the SPCA is so busy they probably dont have the time to investigate or the knowledge to know the difference either! SAD !!
    To say they don't have the knowledge is one thing, but to say they don't have time!!!! Isn't that what the SPCA is for?

(This is a remark against the SPCA not you mpleleaf)
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast