Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

KH value :confused:

ok, I'm confused. I'm using the Hagen test kit. I did three test and averaged out to 170mg/L as a result. According to the booklet, normal values should be 105mg/L to 125mg/L. So I'm way over. So I read some of my books and on the Net. I see I need to convert to meq/L and it says to divide by 50 to get meq/L which gives me 3.4meq/L with acceptable range from 2.5meq/L to 3.5meq/L. Can someone please tell me what the official acceptable range is?

I'm a bit confused also with the difference between KH and akalinity (sp?).
    I don't know if this helps but I'm having a hard time determining my PH. The colour I get doesn't match exactly any of the colours on my chart. Not blue but not green and not in between

So what's right? If i'm too high, how do I lower it?

thanks.
    thien

THEIN

First things first, I would dich that test kit and get either the SEACHEM and /or the SALIFERT. these are by far more accurate.IMO.and I find these kits very easy to read. I also use the REDSEA ph.alk test kit and like it a lot. make sure you hold your sample a few inches from a white background in a well lit place.

thanks for the advice. I'll do that.

Any comments on the official acceptable range for KH and my method of conversion from mg/L to meq/L?

thien, 3.4 is just fine. Natural seawater is generally about 2.5. Since we have a closed system with significant acid production, having a higher than SW level adds a safety zone for buffering capacity. dKH is just a different unit of measure than mEq/l, but measures the same thing. a dKH value up to about 12 is resaonably safe. I keep mine at 11 dKH.
    Brad

ijo

Welcome to AC Brad... I noticed you had a 155 SPS and your from BC... I wish I was there also... Care to tell us a bit about your system?

IJO

Originally posted by IJO
    your from BC... I wish I was there also... Care to tell us a bit about your system?

IJO
    Dunno, BC is kinda wet right now!!

My system is a 155 SPS dominated tank. It runs 2 x 10k Ushios and 1 Radium, all 400w. A DIY skimmer and Ca reactor keeps the water where I want it. Small gravity fed refugium for growing bugs. 75 sump takes care of hiding the equipment. Flow is generated by a Tunze stream 6110, 2 Hagen 802s, a MAG 12 return. A second stream is planned for the near future.
    Here is a pic of the tank from June

Brad

wow, Thats a tank!
    how many gal is the main tank?
    Albert
    My Photos

Originally posted by ALRHA
    wow, Thats a tank!
    how many gal is the main tank?
    It's a 155g (60 x 24 x 24)
    Brad

Brad,
    That's a very nicelooking tank!! Congrats!!
    Just out of curiosity, do you have much fighting between the corals? Do you have to frag them often to keep them healthy?
    Are you planning on getting the controller too when you add that 2nd Tunze stream?I'm planning on getting the TS24 kit which is 2 of those Streams with the controller.
    My current tank is also 60"L and it's 30" H x 16"D. I am in the planning stage of an upgrade to a tank that will be about 84"L x 30"H x 28"D, which should give me about 305gal!!! WOOHOO!!! :bounce: :bananadan :happy2:

ijo
    Nice tank Brad... love the caps!!

IJO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast