Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Crazy4us,
    Even Tang_man_montreal went through a period just 2 summers ago where he would have quit if it wasn't for a few of us helping him out and encouraging him to keep at it.

I havent read all the thread but if it was me, i would not buy new stuff and get desapointed if it does not work.

I also had those algea problem 6 montsh back with my 33G and i know it will come back with my new setup. When i first had those hair algea, i bought home 5 turbo snails and 3 days later, no more of those algea! What a released! but few days later, i got brown algea and mostly on my sand. I though that my turbo snails was going to eat it... tha brown algea turn out to get red and then got an explosion of cyano. ... It was nasty. As you, in the morning, everything was looking ok, at night after school, horrible and i do have glasses all the time OSD :P. I read a lot, learn of sucking it up, thats what a did a few weeks later. I took those rocks that have some on it, took a brush and bursh it with tap water. Put it back to the tank. two days later, it was backon the rock, less but still, did that again and after a while, maybe 3-4 times, i was gone. For my sand, i suck it all up and put back new water. Also did that a few time each 2 days when i saw it coming back. Well, after 3 weeks, no more problem. I also put my lights from 11 hours to 6 hours. Feeding my fish was once a day, sometimes each 2 days with only the minimum. Remeber that in nature, a fish can survive not eating for a couple of days. Well it turn out well for me and thats about my story with algea problem. Maybe you tried a lot of things, we all did, some works, some does not, just keep having faith in you
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

here's a story for you:
    when I moved into my old house about 8 years ago, I set up my dream tank. having already kept reefs for about 4 years, I knew pretty much what i wanted to do and when we moved into a house with an extra room in an unfinished basement- that was my tank room, I must have had 400 gallons of water in 3 to 5 sumps depending on the setup at the time. I drilled holes in the floor and put my (now reefvan's) 210 in my living room and proceded to collect some absolutely amazing sps and other rare and unusual corals. Over the 6 years there, some of them grew into amazing colonies. This was a collection of some of my most cherished possessions (at the risk of being melodramatic!) Six years of hard work and dedication...Then 18 monthes ago, we decided to move. I planned the whole set up in the new house, bought a larger tank and started to install plumbing and the new tank and stand. I wanted it running in the new place so that it would be ready to recieve my corals without stress. I didn't have all the time in the world and moving a 210 gal solidly packed with sps as well as several other tanks and skimmer ,calcium reactor, lighting etc etc was WAY more work than I anticipated. The 24-36 hours I had alloted was grossly inadequate-even for the small army of people who helped me through it, but i had no choice. Anyways I got it all moved and in the following few days I started to notice signs of stress in the corals- some tissue recession, lack of expansion etc. I figured I had it under control until my wife took me, sat me down on the couch and told me that our relationship depended on me moving the tank ( a 7 foot beast) out of the living room and into a room in the basement. I didn't want to move an already stressed tank AGAIN but I realised that I had to and actually in the end it was a very good idea, but at the time I knew it would be disastrous, and it was. I got the army of buddies back again, i broke everything down and moved. This time I wasn't so lucky. The stress of move number two proved fatal. Over the course of a good 6 monthes I watched- powerless as a good 85 percent of my most prized and precious corals died off. This happend slowly and agonizingly- each day removing another dead or sure to die coral. It F*****g sucked BIG TIME. Then the hair algea set in and then the flatworms, the ick the red bugs etc.... are you all intears yet??:bigcry:
    Anyways 18 monthes later, my tank is awesome, I have found many new and precious corals as well as been given frags of many of the mother colonies I lost. My tank is healthy again and I love it again. There are always things to get discouraged about, but that's life, eh?
    This hobby is a rollercoaster and a test, it is also more fullfilling than most things in my life (NOT all things!!) The sense of satisfaction and pleasure you can have when you know you have created a miniature living and breathing ecosystem is awesome. It is addictive and rewarding...and sometimes a royal pain. But ultimately, you have to decide what your tolerance level. Salty already gave you the best advice- take a break, let the tank settle down and try again...if you want
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Really?!!! She sat you down?!!!!:contract: .... :massa: :massa: .... :drunk:

Wow Matt!!!!That is some crazy expereince yo had there.....that must of been awfully stressfull..you know when you have giving your 200% to put everything togehter and like you said "powerless" all is dying..wow...with all those corals...did you loose any fish?
    Derik...

I lost fish as well, the tank was so destabalised after the second move that ick was a problem for quite some time. Many of the fish made it through the move, but new additions would die within days- after a couple tries, I stopped for several weeks.
    Matt.

wow..whats your status as of today on the tank..?
    Derik...

THE TANK ROCKS!!!:bananadan
    Matt.

thats awsome..just shows how all can turn good!!!! now you can sit back and relax and enjoy your tank!!!
    Derik...

Originally posted by reefmutt
    THE TANK ROCKS!!!:bananadan
    In otherwords..., it's just full of rocks!!!..., (I'm kidding!!!)

It looks great and now even moreso that it's completely enclosed in a cabinet!!!

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast