Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Dude, when are we going to see that cabinet?
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Serriously, the Mutts old tank is what inspired me to get into reefing. Way2crazy, think of all these guys tanks and how much time, knowlege and experience went into their tanks, you can ask them how they did it, and its free. Thats prety cool! surely you can take the advice and make your tank eventualy thrive.

this weekend I will post some pics of my rocking tank and the nice new cabinet that wisenheimer just finished making (that'd be Greg!) he did a pretty good job for someone who has little to NO sense of humour!!!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Quote:Really?!!! She sat you down?!!!!:contract: ....:massa: :massa: ....:drunk:
    Wisenhimer can be prety funny sometimes!!!!
    Cant wait to see the pics!

Yes if anyone would have wanted to quit it would have been Mat,with all of his unfortunate experiences and $$$ lost.

But today when you see pics of his tank you just stand in AWWW(mouth open wide) at how beautiful it is.

Here is his thread waytocrazy,and a pic of it today well before his stand which I would like to see.

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...0&pagenumber=1
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

thanks, Rob!
    Boy o boy has it changed since that photo- gotta get some new shots!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I have had 3 mishaps since my reef was setup.
    Once when we were gone away and a heatwave hit near the beginning of summer. Copked my tank to 96 deg!!
    Then when I had to tear it down to redo the sand and get a frickin' trouble maker of a fish out, and then just this past summer when I redid my sump. All 3 times I had a whole lot of my SPS go downhill and lost a bunch. The worst however, was the heatwave. I lost "all" my inverts and bug population. All my smaller fish and a real lot of SPS. My biofiltering capacity of the tank took a hard hit too and I started to get all kinds of algae and cyano happening. It took about 3 or 4 months to get it back on track!!

By the way, Matt is just irritated with me because I said the handles he has for the doors makes it look like a retro kitchen!!!

Well Mat will love to see that,
    Im already planing(thinking up) a new setup since I dont have much space in lenghtin my basement Im thinking of a 4'X4'x24" cube type setup.But it's just a dream ,I got to convince my wife when this one is fully grown in with corals that I need her cold room space to make life for them more comfortable . I wonder what her answer will be.

You see Crazy,I think we all have quite a few stories to tell but they are followed by some quite good ones.

Greg forgot about your nightmare that was a bummer.RETRO KITCHEN OH now I got to see it..Mat get a close up of the handles LoL
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Crazy4us,

As Greg mentioned, I've had my share of experiences as well.
    2 summers ago, my 90 gallon reef was thriving. Everything was doing great and I was slowly getting into SPS. I was one of those guys that watches the tank closely for changes by testing the water every few days... I had a slight elevated nitrate issue at the time, but other than that, "the tank rocked".... I also had a 30gallon tank on the 2nd floor on it's own running system that was used as a QT and small reef.

One day, for no reason at all, I noticed strange things in the tank. Corals were closed up.. I tested the water only to find that the ammonia level was off the chart. Nothing had died, nothing had changed, only a waterchange had been done 2 nights prior. I proceeded to do emergency water changes up until 4am the next day trying to get the ammonia level down. Nothing worked, it's as if it got only worse. Fish were by that time starting to have trouble breating and laying on their sides. It was at that time that I got the fish and what i could save out of there, and brought them to greg's sump... where we thought they'd hopefully recover while i tried to fix my tank. Inevitably, the tank crashed completely, taking all corals with it. Of the fish that were brought to Gregs, only 2 survived (a hippo tang, and a clown) both of which I still have today.

What I didn't mention here is that the 30gal tank ALSO crashed at the same time. Whatever affected the 90gal display tank in the basement, also affected the 30gal QT tank on the 2nd floor. As much as i tried to save both tanks, they both crashed.

The cleanup job was intense. Complete tear-downs of both tanks, washing everything out, Rebuiding the tanks up again, letting them cycle... all the while, Greg was baby-sitting my fish.

I got the small 30gal running first, got water from Greg's tank, and used a hang-on filter for filtration. The fish were put there from Greg's sump until the 90gal cycled and started it's new life.

I came really close to quitting. In fact I mentioned it several times to Greg. My tank was now just a barren landscape.

It was then that I found out the goodwill of the others here on this very message board. JohnnyRock, organized a MASO meeting which I attended in Ottawa. MANY MANY people brought frags that were given to me in hopes of re-starting my tank.
    If it wasn't for the many people here with such willingness to help, I would have quit back then.

On another note, Moving is a bi$&*^... I bought a new house last year... with that came a new tank (180gal)... I planned the move out carefully. However I lost many corals during the move, and some fish. My 180 is only now starting to look good. I'm still going through a Cyano outbreak... whcih is starting to recede slowly.

Stick in there bud. There are many great people here with excellent advice. Many of which have become great friends.
    This hobby teaches you 2 things. Patience and perseverance.

Give the tank some time, i'm sure you'll see it bounce back.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

OMG Don't give up! (Ive been saying that to my husband lately too)
    We went from a beautifull looking DIY 110 g to a disaster (algae wise)of a 220 g! but we are sticking to it because I know that a year from now it will once again be beautifull! (plus all the money thats been invested in this set up so far no freaking way are we just gonna throw it out!)
    Algae is part of reefing like it or not...we ALL go throught it one way or an other. the idea of just letting it settle for a whyle is a good one, the tank as to "learn " to balance itself.
    Please don't give up! hang in there
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast