Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Cool

when you say everything that means more than 1 fish.
    your tank is only 12 weeks old. So I have a feeling you just setup ans stalked your tank full of fish. not good. in this hobby you have to go pain stakinly slow and research before you add anything would be a good idea. how much liverock do you actually have in there? do you have a sump? flow sounds non existent [just the canister?] make sure you condition your tap water as well and I'd let your saltwater sit and mix for a few days before doing your water changes.make sure its at the same temp as the tank.

One more thing to add to all of this... Are you using used equipment? I've experienced unwanted algae blooms when my MH came to near the end of their lifespan as the output spectrum changed. If you bought the MH bulb used, that might be causing your red algae bloom, or at least helping it along.

You have some great adice above.
    It's not uncommon to have these sorts of problems when starting out.
    I agree to wait 6 weeks for the ich to rid. (I did this when I had ich and it hasn't returned).
    The lack of fish will also decrease nitrates due to lower feeding, and you should find that the algae willl starve and die, make sure to help it along with syphoning, and good flow.

Tiff.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

little story for you.. i started a 20 gal nano a year ago.. and well i started it up and was testing. watching... learning.. then about 2-3 months later i got a bad Cyno outbreak.. everyday i had to suck out cyno.. it covered everything. i used turkey baster and net sometimes.. It took about 1.502 months for my tank to balance it out and looked like crap. but i kept cleaning and doing water changes.. then i got hair algae and i almost quit i got so pissed off i hated the tank.. but again everyone here told me to relax and let the tank balance itself.. and about a month or so later is wat gone.. and ever since i have had no algae problems..

tank is 15 months old now.. just thought this story might help you..

Do not get discouraged. I have had my share of problems with cyano, hair algae and bubble algae in the beginning. My tank is two years old now, and very stable. Go slowly. I did a good one year of reading before having a tank and putting water in it. Patience pays off. But I understand your frustration. Hang in there.

Also how often do you clean your canister?If you leave it not cleaned it is a nitrate factory in there and algea does love it....Ever considered A uv light?
    Derik...

what makes you a good reefer is getting past that point. you are rushing regardless of what you can easily convince yourself of. weve all been there. think thats bad, wait till youve been doing this for 5-6 years and that happends. atkeast you have an excuse. the fact that your tank is practiclly a newborn.

Where did you get all your equip and live goods? I hope it wasen't at aquatropicale. As others mentionned take it slow. What is your salinity at? Do you test your water? If not, start testing right now. Do you use RO/DI water? Add flow asap. How long did you wait befor adding corals and fish? Did your tank cycle prior to adding your live goods. I think that ick should be your last concern right now and you chould concentrate on your water quality and do not add a single fish for a while.

thanks everyone for your responses, but to respond to a few of your questions, i have 2 powerheads 802's, the 400w bulb is new but i am supplementing with both a marine glow and a power glow. my salinity is at 1.026 hope i didn't forget anything

Cool

the problem is very clear, to many fish, not enought time. what amount of liverock do you have? what skimmer are you using? very important things.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast