Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Wow!! I never thought I would see the day when someone actually said Big Als was better than...well, anything!! LOL
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

mike9515756,

I'm sorry to say this but your just another one who likes to hear himself talk. and you believe eveything you hear/read on RC.. and you really have no experience in Saltwater whatsoever. I hate people that act this way. thinking they know eveything.. if i were you i'd be quiet and enjoy the hobby and learn like everyone else.. with experience.

you post on many threads of mine stating the mag 9.5 was to much for my 75gal and my sump would have to much flow.. again you were wrong.. and there are tons of threads your info was incorrect.. and most of your posts i read just aggrevate me..

so please take this as you want.. I just had to say something cause its really eatting at me..

My skimmer is also bigger then yours.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Its not the size of the skimmer but how much flows through it that counts.

hehehe
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

ok thats that for that....CArzy can you get a hold of a good test kit from your friends ,salifert if you can,and make sure all the test bottles are CLEAN..take your time and do it exactly as per the test kit(im not saying you didnt,im sure you did it good)Its just to double check your ammonia,nitrates and phosphates.....

Crazy,what you are going through pretty much everyone went through it at one point....I have a diatom filter,a uv light with a canister that i clean every 5-7 days MAX,a lifereef filter rated a 250 gallon on a 40 gallon tank,i have a fuge with grape and macro algea,brand new halides,I have VEry good flow and very well distributedMy rocks are aged about 2-3 years for most of them...half the sand has been from my 150 tank that i switched to the 40.....i have an aquacontroller to monitor and control my whole tank...and i use an RO filter for my water

.And the tank is 4 months old right now and it just finished its bad algea phase..and thats from a transfer..from one tank to another....all my parameters are perfect....everyone here went through that algea phase.....YOu just have to make sure everything is fine...as for the water,flow,parameters,bioload,feeding,filtration.. .live rocks..etc....it is normal that it takes some time to adjust everything perfectly..months and months.....just dont give up...instead just sit back and look at your tank and think what can i do to improve this tank..even write it on a peace of paper..and work on one issue at a time until you have it in perfect order......dont forget..dont make it a chore...its a hobby....somethings are a pain to do but once its done you will be happy.....

As for your disease issue..at one point or another we all go through a disease...fish arent like mechanical parts that you can take them apart and change parts to make them better...or take a test drive to see if you hear any odd noise....you can buy a fish and it looks perfectly well and 2-3 weeks later you find that it has an internal infection....try to go at a place(like in montreal at big als usually they quarantine for 2 weeks)maybe buy from a friend that you know he had the fish for a while now.....especially big angels...some of them get this post stress syndrome and 2-3 weeks later starts to get some blotching, diseases etc...that is why i dont buy a large angel if the store received it 2 weeks ago...at least one month to make sure....but this is from personal experience i do this......

Did you ever think about using a uv light?I havent had any issues since i added mine..and i bought at least 20 fish since the addition of the uv...there is alot of contraversy on uv lights..but I and some others here swear by them.....A diatom filter with a uv light can also help with your algea issue...uv kill ALL good and bad bacterias and diatom can filter ick....

Of course if the fish is already infected when you get it it wont cure the fish but if there are any parasites present in the tank outside the fish it will kill them........I personally freshwater sip with formalin-3 ALL my new arrival fish..i buy from a store that i know that he quarantines...if you can try to find a local fish store that you can trust in that way....maybe ask them to keep your fish for an extra week and go in and see your fish every other day to see if he is eating well and doing good....maybe when you start adding your new fish...start with your fisrt few fish and when you buy them choose the other fish that you want and give them a small deposit on them ans tell them you want them to keep the fish for a few weeks till your tank is ready to accept them...that way if they have diseases most likely it will shw in that time and they will have to deal with it and not you....

I pretty sure ivan quanrantines his fish now if im not mistaken and he WILL NOT sell you a fish that he think has something wrong with him...your not not far from him maybe go for a drive to pick them up or ask him to ship him...its not that expensive...

Try to restist the temptation of buying afish that you just first saw and the LFS only has it for a week or so....What im saying is put ALL the chances or your side...

Last summer i bought this beautiful french angel from a store in montreal....I dipped him but did not quarantine him....in 2 weeks...i lost a lion,a tang,a wrasse,a emperor angel, and the french angel..the bill.....over 700$ that i lost in 2 weeks.......my fault totaly...the fish seamed very heathy when i got him.....but he was only there for 2 weeks in the local fish store....he had some type of internal bacterial infection and you couldnt see that from the outside till a week later.......

Dont give up lots of people here including VERY experienced people lost some fish and started there tanks with bad algea problem....like i said sit back look at all the aspects of your tank...including equipement,water,parameters,flow,distrubution and takle them one at a time..you wil have that time if you go fishless for 6 weeks...you can work on all aspects.....but the important thing is that you takle them once a time and do it perfect.........

Dont be shy for any questions whatsover...even on something as simple on how to use the test kits...no stupid questions here....there is alot of people who went though the same thing you are going through and will share there knowlage and experience with you.....

Derik
    Derik...

Derik,
    Are your fingers sore?!!!

Way 2crazy,
    Where do you live?

Canadiandude,
    The Big Al's here in the West Island of Mtl. is "apparantly" quite different from the ones you guys are used to over in Ontario. It's a relatively new store that is just over 1 year old. The owner is still from Ontario though ( some things just can't be changed...., I'M KIDDING!!!! ).

Before i got in this hobby, i learned that no one is right or wrong. You make decisions on your own by taking opinions from others. Greg and Johnny, I was just voicing my opinion just like you guys voice yours. Yes, you guys have lots of experience and knowledge and know way more than me and most other people here. But that doesn't mean your are always right and the same goes for me, no one is perfect. I dont see what is wrong in questioning others opinions or statements. I might be sometimes condecending or confrontational and i will correct this. I dont take what you guys say with a grain of salt and i have always appreciated your help and quick responses. Sorry if i got you guys all worked up.

Fisherman: "I'm sorry to say this but your just another one who likes to hear himself talk. and you believe eveything you hear/read on RC. You post on many threads of mine stating the mag 9.5 was to much for my 75gal and my sump would have to much flow.. again you were wrong.. and there are tons of threads your info was incorrect."

Tell me fisherman, who do you believe? Only people at Aquaria. You only take a handfull of opinions. What's wrong with RC, It's not a good source of information, those people are wrong? For the flow in your sump and skimmer, i dont recall being wrong if you recall OSD was saying it was true. Because Johnny disagreed that makes me and OSD wrong!!! Tons of therads i was incorrect... come on dont exaggerate.

no your just wrong most of th time... =p

Well i will take that as a good thing. You learn from your mistakes and being wrong. If i was always right i wouldn't have anything to learn.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast