Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Help. i wanna quit

Its been about 3 months since i started my first reef tank and everyhting has been going well excpet for last month i had a severe case of ich and everything died, now i am have all kinds of red algae/slime growing everywhere. and i've put a marron clown last week, ended up dead. This week a sailfin tang also dead. Why is everything dying when my corals are doing amazing????? I think i am gonna bock to freshwater:madder: :madder: :madder:

Could you give some more information about your tank? What size? Filtration? lighting? water parameters? What corals you have?
    Nick

my tank is a 90g has a dsb, 400w mh, i have and eheim 2228 strictly for mechanical filtration, aqua c remora pro with mag 5 skiimer, coral are green start polyps, large pink and green bubble, galaxy coral was doing excellent till one of my anemones decides to literally walk all over him. water parameters are as follow;
    ph 8.
    alkalinity 11
    nitrates, nitirite and ammonia 0
    calicum 520

sorry ph is at 8.3

I would go FISH LESS for at least 6 weeks to rid the tank of the ICK and work on getting the system back into balance. The 6 weeks could also serve as a needed break instead of leaving the hobby. Once it is turned around add your fish slowly from a QT setup. If your not using RO/DI water that could be where the algae issue came from. when my 100 gallon tank had a BIG UGLY RED DIATOM issue I let it grow until the tank was looking real bad and then carefully vacuumed it all out. It did not return. I let it grow because its growth was using up nitrates that must have been in the water for it to have started in the first place. It was an easy way to export that nitrate out of the system.
    Rob

what i don't understand is that i do siphon out the red algae, and it seems to get better as in seems to be going away. but then i get home from work and bang 10x worse

Like OSD mention, you should really give your tank a rest, - give it 6 week before adding any fish to make sure all of the ick is gone before adding new additional fish.

I understand It is frustrating seeing all of your fish die but hang in there, it only get better once everything is up and running right
    Newbie in training

Will there must be a food supply in the tank for it to be making use of. Also ... do you have GOOD light over the tank. Poor lighting intensity or quality or both will encourage the bad algae to grow.
    Rob

On a positive side, lots of what you you are doing looks good. You also got some good advice to follow. As always, the best advice is 'patience'.

Calcium seems a bit high (520). Are you adding supplements to raise it? What salt are you using?

If you only have one 400w MH, that might not give full coverage since an MH only properly lights an area of 2' X 2". Adding another light might be helpful in the long run.

Also, do you have other source of flow than than Eheim and skimmer? Adding more flow might help control the algae growth too.
    Nick

When you do start with some fish again, try a very hardy species (besides damsels). This will be a good way to get things moving again and get your confidence back for keeping fish.

And you may have just gotten unlucky with your last fish additions. Check to see how well your LFS takes care of the fish. Also, give the fish at least a week at the store to see how they are doing before you buy it.

All of us have had these problems starting out, so be patient. 3 months isn't a long time to have your first reef tank and giving it up now would be a waste.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast