Thread: ich spot???

eve

ich spot???

Hello,

14 days ago I bought a Zebra-barred Goby. When I got him home and put him in the QT I noticed he had one clump of white on one of his side fins (about the size of a pin head).

It looks like a parasite (ich or ?). It is the only spot he has though...the rest of his body is spot free, he is eating well, and very lively.

So, I did three things to kill the parasite.

1. I put coppersafe in the water (according to the package directions). I did a copper test, and it looks like the amount is in the correct dosage.

2. I also began hyposalinity over a period of 3 days. The salinity is now at .010

3. I elevated the temp to 80 degrees to hasten the parasitic cycle.

The goby has not gotten any more spots. However, that one clump on his fin has still not disappeared.

So, I guess my question is: How long does it usually take before the white clump disappears usually the coppersafe??

Is it possible it is something other than a parasite?

I def don't want to put this fellow in the main tank with that suspicious clump still on him, but now I am wondering if I was right in assuming it is a parasite??

Thanks!

Ev

It could be a fungal infection. ICK is usually so small that you can't define it as being 3 dimensional. ICK is the size of a grain of salt and is IN the skin. I would suggest you slowly return the QT tank to normal parameters and treat for fungus infection.
    Rob

eve
    Thanks...
    What would you suggest I use for a fungal infection?

It could also be Lymphocystus (sp?) especially is the fish is showing no other signs of stress and acts totally healthy. Lympho. is pretty benign and looks like a white fleshy clump that usually attaches to the fins, but can also attach to the body. If it doesn't respond to any meds or your previously mentioned treatment- it could be lympho. It usually gores away on it's own when the fish is in a good healthy environment. I've heard that iether a 'cleaner' fish or shrimp will help get rid of it as well.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

oh yeah, if you want you could also remove the fish, scrape off the clump, put a drop of iodine and replace the fish- this works very well on healthy fish with lympho. Stressful? yup, but if the fish is in top shape otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high