Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aptasia and Cyano

Thanks to everyone who guided me though my inital tank setup question.

The tank is fully functional now and the specs are as follows: 37 Gallon
    3 ft Skimmer (Fluval as powerhead)
    4" DSB(Bomix)
    40lbs Liverock
    80Watt NO (powerglo and marineglo) and 130 Watt PC (50/50) (running 12 hours a day)

Corals:
    1 Very large Colony of Green Button Polyps
    2 Large Colonies of Star Poylps
    1 Small Pusling Xenia
    1 Small Torch Coral
    1 Small Sun Polyp
    4 - 5 Mushroom
    Couple of Sponges

Reef Crew & Inverts:
    55 (Snails/Crab)
    1 Emerald Crab
    2 Cleaner Shrimps
    1 Hawaiian Feather Duster
    1 Sea Cucumber
    A lot of bristle Worms

This week I have a lot of Cyano and Apstasia.

1) I want to get rid of the cyano, is there any good treatment for the cyno that won't create a havoc on the bio filters.

2) Any effective method for getting rid of Aptasia.

3) My magnets smell like poop, is this because of the cyano?

Venki

VENKI

It is very normal for a new tank to run thru cycles[cyno,algea]
    I wouldn't run out just yet and start adding chemicals to get rid of problems. Try to keep the feedings to a bare minimal until your tank really settles. You could syphon off some of the cyno, with a turkey baster. Also don't go crazy with water changes as you have very little livestock yet and you need the tank to age. trust me, everyone goes thru this at the start. Its when you've been up and running for awhile that if this happens thats a sign of trouble somewere[overfeeding and such]. what else are you using for circulation? there should be a good amount of flow thru the tank and lots of open spaces for the current to flow thru.

Thanks John for the reply.

The red cyano was mostly on the glass, i used the magnetic algea claner to clean the glass, they formed lumps and some was draw into the skimmer. I'll try to siphon the cyano of the bottom.

I am using a 200GPH PH, will be adding a 355 GPH PH head this week. The fluval provide another 100GPH., will be roghyly 500 GPH overall around 15 times the tank volume.

as for the Apstasia i ad alot of them when i put some pepermint shrimp the problem was solve

The best thing for flow is a good Rat!!

Nothing like self promo eh Ivan :

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

ijo
    hehe yup... nothing wrong with that one

IJO

Venki,
    A word of wisdom... If it's on the glass, don't use the magnet to clean it. Whenever some floats away when cleaning it, it'll just settle somewhere else and multiply. Cyano should always be sucked up ONLY!! and with ALL current turned off in the tank. If some flaoats around when you clean, you are basically worsening the problem. The best way is to use a piece of small 1/4" rigid tube attached to a length of soft tubing. Do the old suction thing to start it ( hey!!... you want to be a part of this hobby, then you'll have to sample a taste test of SW sometime!!:blah: ) and essentially vaccum it up. This stuff will come off easily and in huge chunks as it kinda sticks together when syphoning it up. The important thing is that you get as much of it as possible, especially the small pieces that would otherwise float around.
    OH!! and remember we were all telling you to be patient...well it still applies. Cyano is a part of the normal cycles. Trust me on one thing, even though your parameters are stable, your tank is nowhere near fully ready and matured.Once again, PLEASE!!!! Be patient!!!

Lived with the cyano for a few weeks, I couldn't siphon it out as it was stuck to the glass and needed some scraping to dislodge it. I changed my pump to a RIO 1100 as "cyano" may be caused by poor circulation.

The Xenia did not like the excess water flow and has shrivelled up, but the water circulation seems good for the rest of the corals and fish. I decide to run just one 65 Watt PC instead of 2 and within 24 hours the cyano started dsiappearing and my sand bed(bomix) is white again. I had also removed my skimmer ( power outage resulted in a water spill).

The water is crytal clear and I may run without the skimmer till i get my 72 gallon tank setup with the current system used as refugium.

I bought 3 peppermint shrimps 3 weeks ago. The aptasia is not spreading but they don't seem to go away. Do i need to add more shrimps?

Venki

Unhappy venki

don't do it! run your skimmer my friend. Cyno lives off of nutrients and if you don't skim look out. Even thow you see things clearing up with less light as soon as you go back to regular lighting it will come back with a vengence! Look at your tank first thing in the morning before the lights come on. You will see almost no cyno and like magic it reappears. good flow,and if your feeding to much cut back, and skim. The cyno will burn itself out. It is very normal for tanks to go thru these phases. I just setup my refugium a few weeks back and bammo! I have cyno in there. It is the same water as my 90g and my 90g is crystal clear,it hasn't seen cyno for a long time. Am I worried, no as it will pass.You'll probaly get hair algea next as well. The aptasia is another story. It won't pass. I've had success by taking a syringe and injecting them with KALK or VINEGAR[hot].

Cyano also can take control with poor lighting or bulbs with shifted spectrums into the yellow.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast