Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need your advice...on a new setup!

So like I said before, my tank is a 35g. Although I would love to go bigger it won't happen until we move into a premanent location (hopefully in about 5yrs from now.) But my 35g was set up with a Biolife 35 wet/dry filtration unit, just remember this was 10yrs ago, which I NEVER had any problems with. (I have read that these wet/dry filters can house bacteria if not taken care of properly. I was anal about cleaning everything on a regular basis.) Should I switch to a skimmer and a waterflow system, and what else?

Now I do want to purchase liverock and a cleanup crew...but don't know how much and what else? All advice is welcome(just don't nag me about my old system, I'm too old to take very critical remarks.)

Thanx,
    Kim

i run a 35 g with a hang on back refug and bak pak skimmer. i have prob 40lbs of rock in there all though it may be more, i have bought peices at a time so im not sure on the total. Im not familiar with your system so i really cant comment....but....as for my system...its running well... no real compaints.

Ya your system is too old kim...im sorry to tell you that but with the new millemnuim water the old tanks are not compatible with it......ahahhaa just kidding...So are you staying in freddy?I have one piece of live rock that im going to take out of my tank soon because there too much rocks in my tank...i can sell you a piece or 2...not at 17.99 ehehe like pets unlimited....

Well if you do stay in freddy i can go and take a look at your setup when you get it up...As for a skimmer you should get one...depends on your budget and it depends on if you really do want to keep fish for a long time then go for a good quality skimmer...buy it once and thats it....i can get you some sand for your tank we are taking nicks tank down next saturday and i can ask him if i can take some of his sand....hes got plenty.....
    Derik...

There are a lot of ways of achieving a spectacular tank. Different equipment comes in and out of fashion and in some cases there are good reasons for it but basically, if you can keep a tank with good stable water paramaters, then what equipment you use to achieve that is irrelavent. I suspect that your "anal" cleaning is why you were successful in the past and I'm sure this will carry over in other aspects of reef husbandry too.

I'm a bit of an equipment geek and have all the modern gear but I know a lot of other people who's tanks are just as nice who don't. It's just not all about the equipment. More biology, less technology!

I'd set up with what you have and what you know. You can always upgrade along the way if you find a need to anyway.
    Susan

Like I said before " YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!" I am so impressed with people here at AC...thanx to a certain someone's girlfriend for mentioning it!

Who? Who? Who????LOL:biggrinbo :biggrinbo
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

ME ME ME IT WAS ME...IT WAS MY GIRLFRIEND, MINE ALL MINE!!!!!!
    Derik...

Yup! I can't wait to meet you either Derik! I think when it's time to get things started you and I are going shopping! (Well if it's ok with J!)

ehehe sure thing...for livestock...my parents live in bathurst and im going next week....thats were i buy ALL my livestock..til i get in ottawa...then I will give my void check to Ivan eheheh..anyhow...the guy in bathurst has VERY nice and HEALTHY stock..all quarantined and has alot of selection.....a fair price also considering were in nb....i am off to PEI next friday for work for a week.....anytime for now to next thusrday i am available..just let me know..if not when i come back...What are you looking for exaclty?I mean for equipement wise?DO you have any salt?
    Derik...

i will totally agree with derik on the shop in bathurst its the only place in NB i will buy livestock, drygoods are all the same so buy where ever is cheapest but for livestock i have seen very few places that deal with livegoods aswell as the little shop in bathurst
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast