Dangerous star ???????????????

Hi
    Is this dangerous ? It's moving on the glass now. I've seen her before .
    Thank you !

starfish

I have 1 or 2 and they have been there for several months must have come from the Live Rock . It started out as 1 starfish then one of its legs dropped off and walked away! I only see 1 at a time so maybe its the same one and the leg died?

Anyway doesn't do anything bad. I seem to have another hitchiking star looks like a serpent star but tiny I've read mixed reviews about serpent stars so should I get rid of it?

looks like the ones I got I think I have 8 or so.I got them from Momrules when she gave me a piece of rock.Her tank is full of them....
    Bubbles....bubbles...my bubbles....

not really dangerous...some claim that they will eat at the base of sps corals which may or may not be true. I have seen them on the base of sickly or not doing very well sps and they do seem to make a bald patch, but if the coral is healthy, they don't make a mark. They are very common and don't seem to harm anything else.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

As reefmutt said above, there is mixed reviews. In the earlier days, people would see them on the base of corals and automatically assume they were destroying everything in the tank. When in reality, they are most probably just eating the algae and other various biofilms that grow there. They are called Asterinas and stay small. They are almost always lopsided or non-concentric because they reproduce by fision/splitting ( dropping off arms). They are good cleaners and part of the biodiversity you pay so much for in liverock and stuff. Leave them in.

Thank you all again !!! Nice board Nice People. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    New reefer would like to let the microsystem to take care of itself, as much as I can. Just very discreet interventions, if required.

It is an asterina starfish. Do a search online and you will discover they are harmless. And "Kjasjg" as far as the leg falling off, you probably now have 2 because theses are said to reproduce by spliting. I have 1 right now which came on the rock with my first mushroom.

I just bought some snails and they had another one as a hitchhiker!
    Its the early bird that gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.