Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, I'm new...again

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while, and my interest/enthusiasm as a beginner has come and gone due to finances, and now has come back again!

I have been reading a bunch, but have a few simple questions I'd hope to get some 'veterans' opinions about.

My house is quite old. I live on the second floor. Weight on floor is a big issue. Thus, I think around 30g is the absolute MAX I could ever go.

Currently I have had dwarf puffers in a 10g FW tank. They began as a trio, then one of them ate the other two. She has subsequently moved on to fishy heaven recently, after a year of fun and games. Nothing in the tank changed, really, she just seemed to get sick and was sunk one night.

Anyhow, I would really like to begin in SW with this 10g tank.
    I also have a 2.5g tank which can be used.

I want to start with perhaps some corals ('frags'?) and some inverts, no fish due to tank size.

Maybe eventually I will move on to fish in a larger tank, but I want to basically get some nice corals and interesting inverts to begin with, so that I can learn and be a responsible tank 'keeper' first, and then get 'showy' maybe later on.

Can you guys make me a sort of 'shopping list' of things I will need?

I am especially a little intimidated by all the refuge/sump/canister/etc discussion. I am not much for the techno talk. If someone could kind of break it down for me that would rule!

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help you can offer.

PS - I am in the west end of the GTA.
    the beginning of a new journey....just starting out...

welcome to AC

Welcome to Aquaria.ca.

There are lots of people here with small SW tanks.
    I have a 20g at work, no skiimer/sump/filters (the live rock will be the filter). I keep a close eye on the water parameters and do frequent water changes.
    The tank has an eclipse lid with 2 lights...1 regular 10K light and 1 actinic. I have an extra powerhead in the tank to provide more water current.
    One for aim for 10x the amount of current for the size of the tank. Example: 10g tank....100g per hour of water flow.
    I have soft corals in the tank and a couple of clown fish. And of-course, a good cleaner crew (snails and hermit crabs).

I'm sure others here with small tanks will provide more info.
    But keep asking questons...that's how we all learn.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I think you should save your 10g tanks for another use and go for a 12g nano cube deluxe. This way it can save you some headache on lighting, filter, etc.

As you are in west end of GTA, it should not be too far away from Extreme Marine which is located at Dufferin and Lawrence. Check thier new web site http://emarine.org. They have a lot of frags and very cheap too. They also have a 12g nano cube on display. Go and see for yourself.

that's a wierd link....use www.emarine.ca
    it'll change to .org, but if you use that in the address bar it goes to the wrong place
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

Thanks folks, I'll check out that shop.

I hav been wary of the Nanocubes because a lot of people seem to say that they have insufficient lighting, filtration, etc?

Would this be an issue for my newbie needs?
    the beginning of a new journey....just starting out...

Cool

how would a nano cube be any different than a 10g tank or smaller? there all considered nano at that size. you'd have no problem having a tank in the 30g to 65g range or even 90g for that matter in a house. unless its made of cardboard the tank won't fall thru the floor. a small tank is doable but larger is better do to tank fluctuations. you could keep softies but thats about it in a nano tank.

The previous link I've put an extra dot at the end so it didn't work.

This works:
    http://emarine.org

I believe the 12g nano cube deluxe has enough lighting.

I'm with Johnny Rock. Go bigger. I have a 10gal and a 2.5gal and they are a lot more work! Bigger=Easier to maintain (less work) If your just starting out then a 30gal would be a good size. I started with a 23gal and I am in the process of upgrading to a 50gal. Just figure out were the main beam for the house is and place the tank near that. Weight should not be an issue, I once saw a queen size waterbed set up on styrofoam cups! The weight balances out over the space so I wouldn't worry to much, unless you plan on a HUGE tank, say 125-300gal! Besides, this hobbie is very addictive. Trust me, if you set up a 10gal, you'll be regreting it in about 3 months and you'll be going bigger!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Ols Salty Dog has good tips on reinforcing a floor, if need be. Once you start, you'll want bigger. I started with a 25, now have the 25, a 10 and a 90 running. You'll always want bigger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast