Brown filmy algae

I have a brown sort of filmy algae on my crushed coral. It is only forming on the bottom of my tank and where the light shines. First what type of algae is it and second what is a good critter to get rid of it? Would a conch be good?
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

the brown stuff is usually diatom algea and is very common in new set ups. It tends to go away on its own with time. more water flow might help as will phosphate removers. Diatom algea grows because of excess silicates in the water. Phospahate removers absorb phosphate as well as silicate.
    Not much eats the stuff, but if you get some sand stirring critters, that will help, or just stir the sand yourself.
    The simplest thing you could probably do is maybe add a bit of flow and wait it out- it should just fade away over the next few months
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Flow definitely isn't the problem as I already have pretty high flow and the area its growing is right infront of a powerhead.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

I'm with Matt on this one. Diatoms of every color are common on setup that are new or not fully mature. They tend to burn themselves out in a few months .... or so
    Rob

I have this problem as well Cmarty.. and my tank has been running about a month. It seems to develop on the sand bed and glass. Also, on the projector piece of my powerhead(so it's not a flow problem)... I just clean it off with a algea scraper, and stir up the sand a bit to make it look a bit better. It's quite alot of tedious work and getting your hands or in my case whole arm wet!..lol

Hopefully it will dissapear soon... it's extremely ugly!...

its a phase.. i have it aswell but i know its normal from my first tank i set up.. it burns it self out.. i already noticed it starting to dissappear.. then i usually end up wiyh some hair algae lol... then nothing..

Went through this phase as wel, it will go away.

I'd be very cautious stirring your sand up much. I stirred mine up a bit too much once and fought cyano for quite awhile.