Overflow questions

I was looking at overflows on JL and is says that it recommends a Rio600rvt to run inside it for optimum performance. If it works by syphoning water why does it need a pump? I have not seen one of these in person so maybe I am missing something on the basic operation of how they work.

Also Principal Skim is selling an overflow in a Rio 550 gph pump. If I have a sump is there anything else I would need besides piping?
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

As the box siphons it accumulates air in the chamber which in time will lead to a break in siphon. The pump acts as a venturi pulling the air out to keep everything running smooth. Also when the power goes out the pump will get the siphon restarted.

And no, plumbing from the overflow will be all you need to get the sump going...obvously you will need a return pump to get the water back to the display tank though unless thats what the rio is for. You will need to find out what the overflow box itself runs for gph. If its 550 then get yourself a mag7 pump for your return or something that will run about 500gph with the head pressure.

I wouldnt buy a siphon overflow. They are notorious for failing and then you have a big mess. I bought one for my older tank and it would lose siphon all the time.
    75G, 30G sump.
    Euroreef
    2X250 MH with 2X 55 PCs

Hippo Tang, Tomato Clown, Rusty Angel, Keyhole Angel, Damsel
    Anchor, Turbinaria, Acro,Montis, Xenia, Anthelias, Candycane, Buttons,Bubble, Galaxea, Brain,Cabbage, Hand, weird encrusting coral, LTA, mushrooms

I built my own overflow. it seems to work great. i had to run a air tube to the inlet of my mag 7. when ever air gets into the overflow the pump sucks it all out. IF you are hany try to DIY.
    TANK -35 Gallon with 15 gallon sump/fuge
    LIGHTS - T5HO 36" 165 total watts
    FLOW - Mag 7, fluval 304, 201 powerhead
    OTHER - seaclone 100 skimmer, RO/DI water

don't run it with a rio pump. These pump are crap. If you buy it, you should use it with that model of pump

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/p...d1=2181;pcid2=

It will work well for 2-3 month after you will have to replace it because it get clogged with times and there is no real good way to clean the pump...

I have used the overflow with that pump for like 7-8 month and never had a syphon break, but I would suggest that you use a floatswitch with a relay to shut down your sump pump if the water drop too much in your sump because of a syphon break... That way you will not have water on your floor...

If you are still interrested in the cpr overflow, I have my CPR overflow 300 gph to sell in the auction section right now...

oups the link is not good sory,

the pump is a Tom aqualifter pump and you can buy it at Big Als

Zeke

sorry to cut in on the thread.. But ~ZEKE~ I wanted to know what size of drain line is on the cpr overflow you have for sale?
    TANK -35 Gallon with 15 gallon sump/fuge
    LIGHTS - T5HO 36" 165 total watts
    FLOW - Mag 7, fluval 304, 201 powerhead
    OTHER - seaclone 100 skimmer, RO/DI water

I am not home right now, but by memory I think it is 3/4 inch