Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    if you get a sick fish... one thing to battle ick that I've found works well, without medicating the tank, is a cleaner wrasse. Little guys work very well. In conjuction with a UV sterilizer, I'm not sure that you'd have too much to worry about.

I don't have a UV sterilizer.
    I've heard different reports on the cleaner wrasse.
    I think I'll have my QT running in the background...just in-case. I'm looking to get some new additions soon too. In fact I'm considering changing my whole set-up before I buy anything.
    Can I run a UV sterilizer w/out a sump?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

yeah, I was doing that until a few days ago actually when I finally got my sump. I basically cut the hose on the return from the ehiem filter I have, heated the hose ends, and stretched them over the UV ends. So from the Ehiem, into the UV, out the UV, into the tank. Works really well...

hope that helps.

Thanks.
    I just read your "Current Tanks: 90g Reef with more light than God intended "
    Very funny.
    What Ehiem filter do you have? I have a 30 gal and would need the smaller version, but the info would give me a start on the swap.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

I'm running an Eheim 2215. nothing fancy, I actually believe that it was a bit small for my 90g, but with all the liverock, it really wasn't doing much The thing that got me, was when I went into the LFS, I really didn't know very much about Marine tanks, and the guys there suggested that that was the best solution. I guess it just goes to show that before you invest tonnes of coin, research research research

I agree, they sold me 14kg's of live rock and a bio-wheel.
    To this day I can't fit anything else on the tank edges 'coz of the way they cut the glass, There's a 7cm brace on the front and back, and a 2cm gap before the 5 cm brace on the sides, and a center brace.....
    I'm considering going "Berlin' style, add DSB and P/skimmer, I want a UV sterilizer, but i don't know where to put it and how. Can I run it from a P/H and then somehow back into the tank???

tiffany,

I wouldn't recommend a UV, I got suckered into buying one as a newbie years ago. In retrospect it doesn't help except in a FO or a FOWLR tank, (even then) especially not a Reef.

Save your money for something else, the bulbs need to be replaced yearly and are expensive. Unless you get one with a built-in wiper, you'll be cleaning the inside once every 3 months. Generally a real PITA.

As for the Eheim, if it's a canister filter, do yourself a favor and don't put it on. They (canisters) are all nitrate factories that need to be cleaned weekly or bi-weekly. Get a good sump instead ...

Van impdaddy
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Thanks I was looking into UV and the RS recommended them, they also recommended the bio-wheel too... (worked very well until I went reef)
    I'm planning to swap the bio-wheel for a skimmer, and (Maybe)have 1" cc for a natural look, (can I crush the dead coral decorations I have instead of buying it? I can get them for $5 a kilo!!) the problems with the DSB seem to outweigh the advantages.. So I'll be running on skimmer and LR alone. Is that ok?
    I've been looking into Hang-on Overflow Boxes? I am going to ask a really naive question here, but what do they do? I thought as a way to add additives, mini refugium, carbon, etc am I on the right track here?
    the other alternative is to stick with what I have and keep corals that require nitrate, (my Nitrates are generally 0-ppm, 5 if i'm lazy)
    The fish intended so far are pair of Maroon clowns (best match for anemone), CopperBanded butterfly(Chelmon Rostratus), Sharknose goby(Gibiosoma evelynae), and a Thornback boxfish(Tetrasommus gibbosus_ for the b/f) Mandarin(Pterosynchiropus splendidis)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12