Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many holes?

How many holes?

Heya,

This is way premature, but I've been discussing getting a certain 90G $125 tank drilled with OSD. Assuming everything goes through.

I'm thinking 2 x 2.5" drains with bulkheads & strainers nearish the top so I don't need an overflow. (1.5" bulkhead?).

My idea is to plumb these to something like a mag12 and split the returns over the wall a couple times to get some flow happening & get the tank wet & start the magic trick of making base rock into live rock.

Later on (when both the extra money and the free time fairies visit) I'd like to have the drains go to a sump, and use the 12 to return from the sump.

Where I'm running into a snag is I'd like at some point to have an OM and either revolutions or reef rats on the return. I'm told this isn't recommend on the sump return unless your flow rate is 10x the tank volume or less.

Additionally OSD is suggesting I should have more holes, but as he put it having him suggest how many holes may not be the best idea since he's the "hole guy".

Sooo... Down to the questions:

1) Way down the road when I add the sump, can I put OM / reef rats on the return if I split the line enough to keep the flow at each unit <=900gph? Or should I consign myself to powerheads & timers?

2) Do I need more holes & if so why?

Thanks in advance!

Re: How many holes?

Originally posted by Krugar

I'm thinking 2 x 2.5" drains with bulkheads & strainers nearish the top so I don't need an overflow. (1.5" bulkhead?).
    Yes, a 2.5" hole is for a 1.5" bulkhead. You may, however, have trouble with slurping and gurgling with using just strainers. I use to do that on one of my tanks, and I could never get them to quiet down. It was very annoying.

Where I'm running into a snag is I'd like at some point to have an OM and either revolutions or reef rats on the return. I'm told this isn't recommend on the sump return unless your flow rate is 10x the tank volume or less.
    Why do they say that?

1) Way down the road when I add the sump, can I put OM / reef rats on the return if I split the line enough to keep the flow at each unit <=900gph? Or should I consign myself to powerheads & timers?
    Depending on how far you have to pump up, you will probably have to get yourself a bigger pump. Mags are horrible when faced with any sort of head pressure and if you split it up even more, you may not get the flow you need.

2) Do I need more holes & if so why?

Thanks in advance!
    I think that's up to you. 2 holes in your 90 may be enough since a 1.5" bulkhead should drain a heck of a lot of water. Also, in the end, you could use 1 of the holes as a drain to the sump and the other as an input for a closed loop. However, if you plan on doing this, you may have to drill the hole a little lower so that it doesn't suck air from the water's surface.

From the bottom of my stand to the top of my 75G is 4'. So a 90G would be 4.5' of head.

I wasn't planning on surface skimming with either. The strainers were more too keep critter & large gunk out. And I wanted them high incase something goes wrong the tank won't drain past the holes.

I have an XP2 canister that I'm going to remove the biomedia from. I'm thinking if I hook the spray bar back up it'll help "mix" the surface film back in & then a protien skimmer can remove it. It also gives me a small area for mechanical & carbon filtration when / if needed.

I'm still working out which pump, the mag 12 is more or less a "place holder" for now.

Does that sound reasonable?
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

newguy .. noise from overflows can be addressed by allowing air to escape from the chock point in the drain piping.
    Krugar .. it is this requirement to have the pickup hole lower in the tank that is risky if a power or pump failure should occur.
    Rob

Yeah it would be. I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. I guess it's because I don't have any measurements.

What I'm after is to have the holes low enough that they don't suck air, but high enough that if the pipes break I have water on the floor, but I don't loose the tank.

Does that clarify anything?

Cheers!

Okay it looks like I"m absolutely getting the 90G today soo....

I'm thinking now I should drop to one hole, mostly because I think I'll need to be sedated while it's being drilled but aside from that...

If I only put one 1.5" bulkhead in the tank, where should it go? I'd like to avoide building an over-flow around it.

And what do I need to cap it off until I scape up the cash for another pump?

Thanks in advance & cheers!

less holes will come back to haunt you. I have my tank drilled with just two holes and wish to god I had done 6. At an absolute minimum do two overflows! Save yourself a wet floor.

Isn't 1.5 inches with a strainer a lot to plug up?

I also planned on having a low level float switch in the sump to kill the return pump if it gets too far ahead of the drains.

Am I being niave here?

Cheers!

I'd put the bulkhead on the back and then a ball valve to shut it off till you are ready to use it. I had the float switch but would still have two overflows... I think 6 holes would be great, two overflows, two retuns and a closed loop. Safe and with allow for good circulation too. my 2cents worth only!

Makes sense Xerces, I just invision the glass snapping at each turn of the drill. 6 holes would likely require valium

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast