Small blueish grey starfish.

Hello to all. This is my first post!
    I was wondering if anybody would know about small blueish grey starfish with red dots on them, one in the center and others at the begining of each of the 5 legs,near the "head" I guess. The starfish are about 1/4 inch diametre. I bought some live rock that came from a guy that took apart his tank and on them are these starfish and a whole bunch of other stuff. I wonder if they are friendly or nasty. I'm just starting a 20 gal reef tank (first time) and all this new life is fascinating.
    I'll surely have more questions about other stuff as I add new things.
    Thanks!
    pearlarthur

Ain't life just so simply wonderful!
    I'm a fun guy with fungi.

First of all Welcome!:happy2: You'll like it here! All kinds of useful (and useless) info. Don't be afraid to ask!

Second of all....Ican't help on the starfish thing, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

I was wondering myself as well because I have one in the pile of live rock I have as well. Tiny little thing. about 1/4" across. Hard. Too small to get a picture of. Crappy camera.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Does this rock have any pieces of gorg or fan attached to it? There are many colored little starfish that are shaped like a serpent star or brittle star, but they usually host something that is similarly colored for camoflage. These stars are usually very pretty, but unfortunately, they don't usually last because it's the coral that they are hosting that dies soon after and there goes their security..., A fish often eats them not long afterwards. The fact that they are on some rock you got from someone else is rather interesting... Perhaps there are sponges similarly colored on the rock???

I only found one little one on mine. I Hope he's still alive. Little Fella!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Thanks guys for the info. I found 5 starfish like that. They don't seem to have a host, they move around on a rock that has lots of brown algea. I have one on another rock that is covered with purple/pink coral algea I think it is called. They hide in tiny cracks and are hard to find during the day. I took a pic but I don't know how to put it here on the post for you to see. I'll figure it out and put the pic somewhere and let you know. I have a friend that has posted a pic of his nano reef, he'll show me how.
    This site is great, thanks again for the feedback.
    pearlarthur

I just had a look at the starfish and they have in fact 6 legs not 5. Sorry!
    pearlarthur