Smile Newbie...questions

I am in the process after 2 years of dreaming of setting up my first reef aquarium. I am planning a 77 gal tank with a 33 gal sump. Here goes...

1. How much flow do I need in the tank? 2 or 3 powerheads?

2. for gluing the plumbing...what do I use?

3. lighting...is it better to build your own or buy a pre made? I was thinking about an aqualight pro... any one with experiance in them?

Thanks. I can't wait to get it up and running!! But I want to take it slow and do it right the first time...

Re: Newbie...questions

Originally posted by jonah
    I am in the process after 2 years of dreaming of setting up my first reef aquarium. I am planning a 77 gal tank with a 33 gal sump. Here goes...
    First, welcome to Aquaria.ca. Lots of great people here with a ton of knowledge.

1. How much flow do I need in the tank? 2 or 3 powerheads?
    Depends on the type of powerhead. A MJ1200 will give about 295gph. Of course, don't forget the flow from the pump in the sump returning water to the tank. You should aim for a minimum of 10x the amount of water...for example, in a 77gal tank, a minimum of 770gph flow. Of course, a little more is better.
    And you may want to consider closed loop for flow. Especially if you haven't put water in the tanks yet!

2. for gluing the plumbing...what do I use?
    If you're using PVC, the standard PVC glue is fine. Just leave it for several hours before flowing water through it.

3. lighting...is it better to build your own or buy a pre made? I was thinking about an aqualight pro... any one with experiance in them?
    For me, I'm not a DIY, so pre-made is the way to go. You can save yourself some money buy building yourself.
    There are many on this forum that are DIY, I'm sure they will have something to add.

Thanks. I can't wait to get it up and running!! But I want to take it slow and do it right the first time...
    Yes, for a reef tank, taking your time is most important.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I would start with what livestock you intend to keep, then work backwards from there using their requirements rather then building a tank and then asking yourself "What can I keep?"
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Do alot of reading/research before hand to determin what kind of setup you would like. I found many good books at the local library and they were free.

This forum is really good as well.

Chris

I am a newbie...I want it all!! No, My goal eventually would be a community tank with some soft corals. I would love an anenome at some point but...baby steps.

another question....All the amazing aquascaping I see with live rock...is it a matter of firm placement or do you glue the pieces together. if so...with what?
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

For the LR, the base rock must be as stable as possible (especially if you have a pistol shrimp ).
    The rock on top of the base rock can be just firm placement. Just make sure it is absolutely stable...you don't want something to shift the rock.
    Not sure if the rock can be glued together or not. There are types of glue that are reed safe that is used to glue down frags. Not sure if you could glue the rock together.

The LR in my tank is just placed ontop of each other but stable. So far, my pistol shrimp hasn't caused any colaspes.

Some say to place the base rock at the very bottom of the tank and then add the substract. No chances of it moving then.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Some people do glue the rock together, but it can be a pain if you need to find a fish hiding in the rock...

You can also drill it and use acrylic dowels. This will let you dissasemble if need be and still provide stability
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.