Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great :)

Great :)

ok, i got my 20gal rolling,
    i have substrate, my boss let me take some from work, i got alittle much in the tank, but i think it looks pretty nice, i got my power head going, and i am adding the salt,
    all i need know is good lighting system, and i am pretty much done!, and my boss gave me his old fluval filter, the old round ones haha, whatever its still a filter, i am going to put some foam in it, and make it bio. . anyways, i am going to take a few pictures here shortly i just thought i would come online and tell everyone about the great progress.. not getting liverock untill i get the good lights, i am just kinda mixing the salt and putting the sand in, and guess what the substrate is right from the salt tanks at work, lost of nice live sand thats for sure haha, i can't wait! hehe i am going nuts!

oh ya i need a heater, the one i have in their likes to turn up by itself, but hey, thats tomorrow i am getting one so haha!

alright! talk to you all later!

Matt (ya thats my real name!)
    :fish3: Little Boy Blue :fish3:

here is the picture of the tank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Great :)-tank.jpg  

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I would actually cycle your tank with some liverock. This would get your bio-filter going quicker.

As for the fluval, I'm trying to understand why you don't trust liverock as your only source of filtration?

Fluval's (any canister filter for that matter) are known as "Nitrate factories". You will have to clean that thing out constantly to keep your nitrates down. And even then, you'll still have nitrates.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

i have read in many places that live rock is only for the experts! i donno i do trust it, but i feel not so safe with it for some reson i donno my resoning, but ya i guess i can give it a go,
    but before like i said i get my liverock i want my lights
    some guy in another fourm said this

"As far as the lights go if you are going to keep corals, pc's(power compacs) are a good choice. I know Coralife and Custom Sea life make a nice stripe light. I have two CSL 65watt 50/50 smart lite strips on my 29gal and my soft corals are doing really well.
    On your 20gal that would = out to 6.5 watts per gal more than enough light. You might even be able to keep some hardy sps corals. I found mine on line for about 160 bucks with shipping.

JMO its a little cheaper than MH lighting."

is that good lighting?

wow, thats a lot of sand in your tank.
    well like tangman said, there is no point in using the fluval. it will only be a pain. i bought a fluval404 when i first set up my tank (i am proof that buying things before research is a waste of money. i just trusted what the guy in petland told me - naive old me). anyway, to make a long story short, even this newer fluval (which is probably improved over the old one you are getting) is such a pain to clean and all, and it just ends up filling with junk. its one thing if you are using it for mechanical or chemical filtration, but if you want it for the biological, then you can rely one your rock and sand to take care of that. You can even throw a bio-wheel onto your tank for added peace-of-mind (i believe those are great because they offer a lot more oxygen for the bacteria, plus they break up the surface tension) Well like they say, "a fool learns from his mistakes - a wise man learns from the mistakes of others" the fluval was a big mistake for me, so i would suggest you learn the same way i have.

oh and as far as the lighting. i have the custom sea life strip and i am in love with it. it has everything you need all right out of the box. actinics, 10000K, moonlight, and fan to keep it cool. it also has separate plugs so that you can put each one on an individual timer and provide the dawn/dusk effect. it even has legs to raise it above the water level on your tank so that you dont need to come up with your own way of doing that. helps keep the tank cool and keeps the glass clean of splashes. i love it.

ALRHA, were can i find those? a website perhaps?

i got it from petsolutions.com
    i know marinedepot.com had it too, but petsolutions.com was cheaper.
    Albert
    My Photos

i shall have to look into that today,

what do you guys think of putting one of those hang over the side filters just with biomax in it? or should i just stick with liverock, becuase with nothing in their now the water has little tiny things in it, bugging the heck outta me

it seems like they don't ship to canada

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast