Thread: zoanthids!

zoanthids!

Hi!
    I was wondering how long a zoanthid can stay out of the water so I can set some marine epoxy on the rocks and maybe take off a little die off. Some zoos (small fragments) were damaged because the crabs and snails tend to push them off the rocks they are sitting on. So I have to attach them with a little marine epoxy and maybe clean them a little. They are brown with fluo green centers, I'm not using actinic lighting yet.
    Thanks!
    pearlarthur

Ain't life just so simply wonderful!
    I'm a fun guy with fungi.

ijo
    zoanthids can be out of water for a very long time... a stable temperature is more improtant IMO ... we actually ship zoo's with wet paper towel most of the time.

IJO

How long are you planning to keep them out of the water?
    Which marine expoxy are you using?

You can scrub the die off in a small bucket of tank water (and then throw out the water). If your using an aquarium epoxy like AquaStick, it'll set in water...so you only need to apply and put it right back in the tank again. Technically, this way, your LR is only out of the water briefly. Even if it was out longer, IMO, the Zoo's will be fine for quite a while if you keep them moist...couldn't put a time on it for sure though.

Remember when working with Zoo's, they carry a toxin...good to wear gloves...play safe!!
    Keep passing the open windows!

Thank you very much. I appreciate your feedback and I had forgoten about the gloves and toxins. I already have enough toxins in me as it is, haha!
    pearlarthur

Ain't life just so simply wonderful!
    I'm a fun guy with fungi.