Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volitan set-up

Volitan set-up

Well the title says it... we got a beautifull Volitan lionfish from Toutouche and we are now in the process of arranging his permanent home (he's currently in the fuge)

We will be plumbing (spelling?) The new tank to the exhisting set up and he will probably be the only occupant of that new tank.

What I need from the gang here is suggestions for lighting and size of tank... we (well I cause he's MY fish ) were thinking of a 5 foot long tank is that over kill or would he be ok in that? ( 5 foot would look really cool in the dinning room : ) So if someone has a tank for sale I might be interrested. Don't need the fancy stand cause the aquarium will be incorporated in a hutch style unit (some people put dishes in their dinning room... I want fish! lol )

For lights... well I need info here. I know that Volitans do not like MH ( I heard they can go blind! ) so what do the peeps with these fish use?

Also... and that's the last question... can I keep some soft corals in his set up? like shrooms, colt coral, kenya, leathers? looks like the big set up downstairs will eventually turn into a sps and lps set up :

Thanks in advance guys and gals!
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Hey Carol...
    Having seen your setup, there are some things to take into consideration that you havn't mentioned.

Most importantly, Your current setup is in your basement. If I remember correctly, the new setup for aggressive fish will be on the main floor. So what you're asking is about plumbing the current sump running on the basement reef to the new upstairs setup. There are some technical issues here.

1- Return pump for the upstairs system will have to be sized appropriately for that head pressure.

2- What will happen if one of the pumps fail (Reef or aggressive tank). Is the current sump big enough to handle the siphon from one or BOTH tanks?

Ideally, You will want a Big pump pushing to the upstairs tank, and have the upstairs tank overflow into the reef, then into the sump. Less headaches this way I guess. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Many people prefer to run Fish only / Aggressive setups on separate systems as they are usually not as pristine as reefs. Nitrates tend to be a little higher. You may want to think about keeping them separate as well.

As for lighting. A fish-only / aggressive setup is more than ok with some Normal Output Fluorescents. Probably 2 white and 2 actinic would fit the bill nicely. I've kept softies under Normal Output fluorescents with no problems.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Hey Vince...

The pump to bring to upstaires will be a big one from what Chris explained to me...lol It'll probably cost more that the tank itself
    For the syphon should one of the pumps fail... we will prolly use the same idea that we have in the tank downstairs ( I must be turning blonde...lol is it called a check valve?!? I dont know its a thingamagig that stops the water from draining? I really dont remember the name of it sorry lol) so Chris tells me not to worry about those issues he's figuring those on his side.

Normal Output fluorescents ... that's what I figured too. Most of my softies should do well in there... question is, is the Volitan ok with softies? So far all I see in tanks with Lionfishesesses are tank with only rocks, no corals, is there a reason for such a set-up?

On a side note: You gotta love this kinda of fish! he wont eat if Chris is near the tank...lol I guess he likes me best :
    Carol

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Carol,
    Yup, that thingamajig is called a checkvalve. However, they don't always work 100%, and are known to fail if not routinely cleaned.

You still might want to think about having them on separate systems due to the higher nitrates and such that SPS won't like.

As for lionfish and softies... There's no problem there from what I've seen. I have seen several lionfish in full-blown reef setups. These reefs however had no shrimps or crabs though...

I'm sure that the lionfish won't be the only fish in this tank? Probably some angels or butterfly's too right? If so, you'll have to worry about the other fish eating softies... such as the angels or butterflies muching on Zoo's.

It's funny how fish are able to differentiate people. I'm convinced that my fish recognize me as well.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

5 foot long tank is too vague...60-70-90-100-110....what volume?If you want this fish to be happy go for at least minumun 75 gallons....especially if you have lots of rocks and other friends in there....as for the check valve...i would put 2 inline to be on the safe side...just in case
    Derik...

K you're right just saying 5 foot was too vague... how about something like 108 gal - 60 x 18 x 24 ? (thats the size tank we used to have inwall) would the 24 high be high enough for him to be happy? they are not big big swimmers but they do need some room.
    The 2 check valves in a row is a VERY good idea! will pass that on to Chris thanks!

For tank mates... hummm not sure what yet. Would really like to get some triggers again... a nice Picasso(easier to say that then humu-humu-nuku-apuaaa ) but these are really aggressive fish and can be nippers and I dont want to have a finless lionfish... would have to see what kind of tank mates would be suitable for Spike.
    Carol

Carol,
    Has it started eating yet?
    Ya know, I had him in my 200 gallon sump and I was using regular PC lighting on it. One blue and one white. Yes you can keep any kind of coral with the Lion, they don't touch corals..., period. However, if you want to add other fish then stay with various softies. The other fish might sample them, but fish such as Angels and Butterflies usually prefer SPS polyps. I wouldn't put any Trigger with the Lionfish. It's too docile and will have it's fins torn off from them biting.
    While many people don't usually plumb a fishonly tank in on the same setup as a reef, this is because they fishonly usually will hold a bunch of fish and the average reef tank is somewhat smaller in size than yours. The fish in the fishonly tank would actually benefit from reef condition water. Usually, their water is somewhat lower in quality because the higher reef standards of filtering are not really needed.
    Check valves will deteriorate over time, and I actually suggest changing them as part of a yearly or every 2 years as a precaution. You don't want to wait till it fails and is needed to find out about this.

Yes he's eating no problem now! has long as Chris isnt near the tank! mouhahaha It took a bit for Spike to get over the move but he doesn't go into his "Im Big and dangerous lady...look at my back" mode.

No triggers with the lion... Thats what I figured.... guess I'll just have to set up an other tank in the kitchen when we re-do it (OMG Chris is gonna kill me! lol )

so is a 108 g overkill? I could just go get a 75g but these fish get pretty big... I just don't know anymore.
    Carol

Check your PM box...

no 108 is not overkill...especially if you are going to add another fish or 2....
    Derik...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast