Chromis Stocking Question - Again!

So i got my new Chromis in my 120 and I love the way the look! they're schooling like crazy and surfing the massive flow.

So question - Have 5 currently, how many more do you think I could safely add (given that this tank will be SPS dominated) and still be able to add one large center piece fish - (leaning towards a hippo tang at this point, but that may change)

As an aside they freaked me out last night after lights out. I was doing my tank check before bed, and did not see one chromis!

I actually went so far to turn everything off and check the sump. No chromis

Needless to say at lights on this morning, they were back schooling again. I assume they wedge themselves into the rockwork to sleep.

If you're reading this Fisherman, since I added the Chromis the clown has started touring around the tank. I think he's jealous and decided he better show off a little, rather then hiding behind the drain 24/7.

Anyways, your opinions are always appreciated!

Thanks!

From what I have heard, and I looked into getting Chromis for my 120, is that they will not school unless there is a preditor or threat present. Now of course, your milage may vary, but from all the research I did most ppl's chromis ended up not schooling once they were comfortable with the tank the the other fish.

Otherwise they are great looking fish IMO . As far as any more, it would depend on what else you plan on adding and the total volume of water in your system including sump, fuge etc.
    -Dazz

Schooling or not, I love the Iridescence on these little guys, so the question stands.

Maybe i'll put up pictures of sharks and lionfish, groupers etc. around the tank to keep em schooled up
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

I have 6 Chromis in my 72g and plan on adding another 5-7 once the 90 is setup. Love the schooling action also but I guess it depends on bioload. As for scaring them, paste a pic of, I think its Johnny Rock wearing leather pants, to the side of the tank.

Sidenote... mine seem to hide within the rocks more and more these days.

hee hee. I'm too new to get the Johnny in leather pants reference, but in this I will yield to the experienced reefer.

So by your estimates Dark, do you think i would have a problem with bio-load if I went for 15 of the guys including my perc and hippo tang?

Oh and a follow-up (not padding post count I swear!)

How long do these little guys live in captivity (expectancy). just curious if the lower price is a reflection of a shorter life span.

tanks!

Im really not sure how much they would add to bioload. I would try it either way, just watch the levels. But this is purely noobish of me, Im only on my 7th month maintaining a salt tank so ya know. Hopefully someone else will jump in here and say for sure.

ps. hippo tangs are VERY bad for getting ICH. quantine for many many many months before adding to main system, we learned the hard way about that.

Yeah, I'm a noob when it comes to fish and stocking too. I think I'll play it safe for awhile and see what I can find on RC about large chromis schools.

I've heard that about the Hippo's, will definately QT

I have had 9 green Chromis in my 90 reef, for almost 3 years, I wouldn't know what to do without them. Although, they become very agressive after the 2 year mark IMHO, they will make kind of a clunking noise in their mouth when I feed it's awesome....they do eat alot so watch the parameters and I skim heavy. HTH. Steve.