Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Putting a tank over a carpet???

I am setting up a 110 gallon in the basement at my new location in ottawa and i just realize that the place if full of carpet everywere...any sugestions other than putting a 3/4 in plywood board under it?Any suggestions on what i can put maybe to prevent the carpet to get wet if ever i drop a little bit of water on the side of the tank....
    Derik...

You could cut the carpet away from the tank area and install tiles.

thats a good idea...but its the father in laws place....i will see if i can come to an arrangement....if you have any other idea...shoot...
    Derik...

There's no neat way to protect the carpet from water and if you don't put down a piece of plywood the weight of the tank will completely flatten out the carpet and the under pad and it will not recover. What you can do is lift the carpet in the tanks location and neatly cut out the pad to the same size foot print as the tank PLUS 2 inches all around. Replace the removed under pad with the plywood so it can not be seen. Rob

It would all depend on if its a plush carpet. Unless your planning on dumping gallons of water on it I wouldnt worry, a small wet/dry vac would suck it up.

hey thats a good idea thanks rob!!I will ask my father in law if we can maybe change the whole carpet and put harwood flooring instead....
    Derik...

are you renting this place? If so then id leave the carpet as it is. get some plywood and 2x4s and build a base to sit of the carpet. then you can install some ceramic tiles are even sheet vinyl to the plywood. You will get water on the floor!!! no matter how carefull you are!

If you own the house. then do as dark says "cut the carpet away from the tank". the bare cement floor under the tank will work. Ceramic tile is the best option. Im a flooring contractor so this is a no brainer for me...

My tank is located in a spare bedroom with a laminate wood floor around the tank. It seems to be holding up great. I have wiped up a lot of water off this floor.
    TANK -35 Gallon with 15 gallon sump/fuge
    LIGHTS - T5HO 36" 165 total watts
    FLOW - Mag 7, fluval 304, 201 powerhead
    OTHER - seaclone 100 skimmer, RO/DI water

Originally posted by DARK
    It would all depend on if its a plush carpet. Unless your planning on dumping gallons of water on it I wouldnt worry, a small wet/dry vac would suck it up.
    Sorry .. not correct all modern carpets are made with latex glue between the primary and secondary backings. Style of carpet is irreverent. If that glue becomes over wet, or wet ed over and over it will fail and the carpet will bubble in those areas. This is why hot water extraction (steam cleaning) should only be done by certified pros. That being said .. YES a wet dry vac handy would be a very good idea.
    Rob

unless i can convince the father in law to put hardwood flooring....
    Derik...

So if i cant change to hardwood basically i just gotta be 300% more careful i guess..but as for the weight of the tank...will that damage the carpet?
    Derik...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast