Thread: actinic lights

actinic lights

My tanks been running for about 6 monts now and I'm starting to think about changing the bulbs in my VHO. florescent. I was concidering using actinic bulbs as opposed to my white ones.

I understand that the actinic bulbs produce a more blue spectrum of light. Does this affect coral growth at all. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using actinic bulbs?

You have to use a combination of both 10,000K and actinic VHO's.

You "don't" use actinics only. Actinics give off a purple light the same as a black light in the 429nm range and they help the corals flouresce and bring out the colors. You need to mix them in with some other white light.

Actinics produce nearly only blue light and some UV. This trigger the fluoresence in many coral. This produces a nice glow effect, but, shouldn't be confused for the "best light".

It doesn't have to be 10,000K, but, you should have a white light (somewhere from the yellow 6500k to the blue 20,000k). You should supplement the "white" with actinic.

How much of each becomes a personal preference issue, but, you should also consider the PAR for the various bulbs you are considering. It isn't a 1:1 mapping, but, generally, a larger PAR rating will cause better growth and hearthier coral (within limits).
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

My light has two bulbs in it now, could I get one acitinic and one fluorescent? Or maybe replace the bulbs with acitinics and upgrade to MH for my white light? What do you think?

If your setup and budget permits an addition MH lights, of course that will be the most beautiful way for you and your corals! You can dedicate your vho's to strictly actinics. That's what most people with MH do.
    George