Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MH fans

MH fans

Just wondering about MH fans. Are they absolutely neccessary...i.e. with the bulbs burst without them or is it a water heat issue?

They are necessary for me, otherwise my tank would overheat, it does also carry a safety concern with it, it helps to cool your bulbs down, i picked up a 10$ fan from wal mart that works nicely
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

I would say YES. If your running MH over your tank and don't want to see the temp climb out of the "normal" range use FANS.
    Rob

I would also say yes that fans are necessary-- to cool the tank water, but No they are not necessary to cool the bulbs specifically. The bulbs will not burst without a fan .They will run no problem without fans, they are designed to do this. But 400 w bulbs produce a lot of ambiant as well as radiant heat, so fans are usefull for cooling the water.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

In a pinch, I picked up a 3" 115V AC fan fan at Radio Shack for 15 bucks. To my surprise, it has a pretty good build quality to it. The frame is all metal and so are the blades. For it's size, the thing weighs a ton. It's also rated at 36 dB which is on the lower side of the scale. When I powered it up, it has a pleasant quiet whine. It cools a 400w bulb which is only an 1 inch away from the reflector and it keeps it luke warm compared to an 'egg frying' temp without it.

The salesman sold me on the 3 year xtended warranty as well for $5.00. I know extended warranty sounds tacky these days, but he said that even if I break it, or muck it up somehow, just bring it back and it will be exchanged with no questions asked. I told him that it'll be encrusted with salt, and he actually said no problems. For 5 bucks, it's worth the experiment. I bet they are banking on the fact that most people will have lost their receipts in 3 years.
    George

Well, I'm thinking about a sump in the basement so the retunr water could be (if I wanted) a little cooler which could equal out and save money on heaters....any problems with this idea
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

I have never used fans. I run 2 250watt Double ended, on my main level with no canopy. I have my sump in the basement, and have central air conditioning in the summer. I have never had any heat issues. I think it depends on a few conditions and your equipment as to whether or not you need fans.
    Charlotte

Originally posted by George
    In a pinch, I picked up a 3" 115V AC fan fan at Radio Shack for 15 bucks.
    I have the same fan on my Nano & I've already shot a bearing. How long have you had your's? I think it lasted a month before it popped & I just haven't had the time to replace it.

Anyway, I wouldn't describe it as quite any longer...

Cheers!

If its anything like the 4" RS fans it doesn't have a bearing, just a lubricated bushing. Sometimes a little gease will make it like new, and sometimes the bushing is just too worn to fix.

I don't use fans either. With the 250W halides on the heat temp goes up to 80 and overnight the temp goes down to 78.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast