Talking Metal halide upgrade question again...

I got my Hands on 2x 250w MH ballasts M58 or something.. they came with the monguls and all wired up.. im gonna purchase 2 X 250w 14k ARCs.. and 2 reflectors from Ivan..

Im wondering do i still need to run actinics?

i was looking for a post on the site that had a similar content but couldn't find it..

Im upgrading from 4 110W VHOs.. is it worth it?

also i will most likely have to re aquascape my LPS to the bottom lol..

this will be on 75gal tank..

Well..., as you know this topic is "highly" debatable. IMO, yes you would benefit from actinics, but I will also go on record as saying it's a very personal thing. What combination are your present 4 VHO's? Why don't you just keep the present VHO setup and add the MH's, then once they're running you can see if you like it.

to much power consumption... Wife won't let me run all that juice..

what i might do is go 2 VHO's and the metal halides..

also does light cause algae in tanks? light and nitrates i mean?

cause in a freshwater tank you start to put more lighting you get lots of algae growth.. just wondering about saltwater?

Yes since algae is photosynthetic. But keep in kind it's not just the light as you already know by mentioning the nutrient thing. Just adding "more" light won't change it. It's mostly about nutrient control and uptake. If your system is balanced now, it won't unbalance just from the lighting. What it will change is with things like coralline and other specific light liking life. It will just change the way and where certain things grow when you upgrade from flourescant to MH.., all good though.

Fisherman: My tank is running tow 250 W 14K ARC bulbs. If you want you can drop by and see if it's blue enough for your liking

IMO the halides are blue enough at 14K.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

I also have the 250W 14K Arc. I also use two 48" no actinics to help simulate dawn and dusk.

Cheers

I'm running the 400w's ARC 14000K, but only use 2 vho actinics compared to your 4. I agree with Toutouche. You have an opportunity to try out different combos. I can only fit 2 VHOs in my canopy so I don't even have that choice. From what I can see on my tank, the ARC's match up to URI actinics pretty good. It doesn't necessarily make the tank much more blue, but just adds a fluorescing edge to the corals. But I know that every set up is a little different.

On a side note, I always wonder why everyone has to get permission from their better half? : I can't imagine having to ask permission or get approval to do something to 'my' tank! Just as I don't frown upon her Ebay habits.... lol.
    George

she is my finacial advisor lol.. plus were still in the starting family stage.. so money is tight..