Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aiptasia is back .. with a vengence

After dosing joe's juice 3 weeks ago the aiptasia SEEMED to be entirely gone. I used up the last of it on a few pieces that decided to come out after I had done my few *big* dosings... So I let things go and well, now they're 10x worse than before. All of my 5 pieces of live rock are basically covered in it.

What am I supposed to be do doing to dose properly? Should I take these rocks out and cover them in kalkwasser/joe's juice? I can't see a 20ml bottle + syringe doing the job this time.. ARGH!

Futhermore, Aiptasia has started growing on the glass and I don't want to remove it via scraper so I guess I have to wait till I can get some more juice!

Any help from the pro's??

This is why I like using kalk paste over Joe's Juice. The paste ensures that the whole anenome is covered,dissolved and killed before dissolving into the water column. With Joe's Juice, the anemone still has time to 'break apart' and spread. Whether it does this knowing that it's doomed, or it does it from the leftover bits after death is something I couldn't tell you.

I hope that makes sense. Anyone else?
    George

Can you show us a picture?
    180G - Reef
    29G - Goldfish

There are a couple of remedies and lots of discussion on earlier forums. A lot of people claim success with adding several peppermint shrimp and then not feeding the tank for several days. Don't try to scrub the aipstasia and definitely avoid adding any live brine shrimp or else you'll really see an explosion of aipstasia. Good luck.

Even kalk paste doesn't always work- neither do peppermint shrimp all the time. And the shrimp may take a liking to some sps (if you have any)
    The only sure fire way is a copperband butterfly. They will also eat any small featherdusters..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I have injected several with boiling water which worked for me just becareful with a neighbouring coral.

Copperband butterfly eh? Hmm, yeah, the heads on some of the aiptasia are getting rather large and mean looking.

I have a cleaner shrimp right now that moves over/around it but definitely doesn't eat it.

Is the copperband buttefly an aggressive fish? I'm still planning on getting the hippo/regal tang and I'd like them to be compatible. Furthermore, I have 2 featherdusters that are rather large now so you think that it would tear that apart?

copperbands aren't agressive towards other fish.....the feather dusters...no guarentee! The biggest problem with copperbands is their health. Sometimes they do perfectly and acclimate well and begin eating prepared foods and other times, they never start eating foods you add, so when they finish the aptasia, they starve. The best thing to do is try to buy one that is already eating at the store- which doesn't happen very often. Octopus on Papineau is often pretty good with his fish and sometimes has healthy specimens.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I can guarantee they will also take out any featherdusters, big or small!!! I used to have 2 big ones along with some miniature types.., even the ones that grow themselves and hitch hike on the rocks. Not a single one survived the wrath of my Copperband!! I knew this would happen ahead of time though.

Oy, now I've got a decision on my hands. I really love the featherdusters, and well, as you said once the aiptasia is done, what do I do then?

I also thought that copperbands were extremely prone to ich?

I love the cleaner shrimp I have now, so I could put a peppermint shrimp in and wait, but I'm sure it'd be weeks before he cleaned up the mess.. I'll try to take a picture tonight, but let me re-assure you, it's a bad sight. The things are everywhere.

I think I'll still dose with joe's juice and then move into something like a peppermint shrimp that will keep the aiptasia down and NOT kill the feather duster. It's one of my only non fish (no lps/sps yet) so I'd like to see it live!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast