Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chromis is sick .. please help

I now have a sick chromis. He's swimming sideways now and has a brown/black colouring to him. I always thought that ick was spots, but he's definitely turning black/brown on the surface of his skin.

I've isolated him in the refug and I'm giving him fresh water baths (2x daily) but he's not showing any signs of improvement in the last 2 days. Anything else I can give the fella? (He won't eat since he's on his side .. I've tried hand feeding him too)

Abnormal swimming is usually swim bladder infection or poisoning. Being that the other fish are not affected poisoning is not the likely cause. The brown / black discoloration is not listed in my book but could be the result of impact damage. Are there any pumps in your setup that he could have go sucked onto or pulled partially into? Any other fish beating him up?
    If swim bladder infection is the issue behind the swimming behavior you would have to put him in a warm tank and feed him food soaked in antibiotics. However I would be more inclined to think that his swimming behavior is related to the discoloration.
    Rob

Well, as I said, I do have an outbreak of aiptasia, could that be it?

There's an overflow at the top that he could have got sucked against, but other than that there's 2 maxijet 1200's in the tank but I can't see those injuring him.

In the tank there's 4 (other chromis) , one maroon clown and then a cleaner crew. The brittle star could have taken a swipe at him but his colouration seems to dark for a single bruise. It seems to go from head to tail and it came on rather suddenly. I noticed the colouring one hour, then after another hour he started to swim REALLLLY funny.

I'll try everything I can to get him healthy. He's not an expensive fish but I'd rather save him than see him die.

Can you post a PIC.
    Rob

just a little note jklink,Do not give freshwater baths twice a day, that is way to shocking and stressful to any fish..freshwater bath can be good but it all depends on what it is and too much of a good thing can bring the problem even worst.....
    Derik...

I'll post a pic as soon as I get home .. luckily I have one of those jobs where I can surf the forums on breaks

As for the freshwater bath, affirmative. I've usually been told to give freshwater baths all the time (well, anytime I've had a problem someone yelled freshwater bath time!).. Mind you, I shouldn't be listening to the lfs

Without yet seeing a PIC I don't think this is a disease issue. I think it is a physical injury issue.
    Rob

that's quite possible because it's like a whole body bruise .. can anything cure this?

would a bite/shock from aiptasia do this? I really don't know much about it other than it's a weed and terrible. Most websites list that aiptasia is bad, but too much focus is on that it's bad and not WHY?!

It's a weedlike anemone that can reach out of control proportions. It can sting corals (and maybe fish - I don't know), It can over run a tank in no time at all, it's not attactive, they breed like crazy, did I mention they can sting corals, etc. I had one, kind of pretty. My husband thought it was cute, so he didn't want to kill it. I year later and I keep finding them. Every day I find and destroy another one. They just won't die, damnit!!!

great, so I'm not the only one fighting this .. is there anything in the tank water that helps these buggers to grow out of control.. My levels seem healthy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast