Weird things living on my astrea snails

Hey everyone,

I've got some little black "blobs" on my astrea snails. This blob is about 1-2 mm wide and same length. I can see 1 long strand comming from what appears to be it's "mouth". I've seen this strand get loose in the water also but seconds later the strand comes back. I've also seen what looks like snail poo comming from the exact same spot or "mouth". Whenever the long strand gets loose in the water I can see a little "antanae" comming from the "mouth" that gets scared when I hit the glass. It retracts into the black blob and comes back out after 1-2 seconds. This is on top of the shell and not under it. Also it appears that the long strand that comes out of it is used to capture food as it is pulled back in from time to time. This strand is thinner than a human hair ... it's almost clear. The strand picks up little air bubles and that's how I can really see it. It also appears that the blob is really stuck to the astrea's snails shell. Does anyone have any idea of what this is? Or does anyone have a link to astrea snail parasites ... cuz that's what I think it is.

Thanks,

StephG

This sounds exactly like the behavior of the blob if you guys need more clarifications

RE: Strange thing growing on clam shell
    I just sent the image earlier and I'm attaching it right now. Thanks.
    <no worries at all... your hitchhiker is a harmless Vermetid snail. They are sessile (non-moving) filter feeders... and you may notice that they secrete a mucus web which they issue to collect microorganisms before sucking the web back in for digestion. A fascinating creature. Enjoy. Anthony >

i

"<no worries at all... your hitchhiker is a harmless Vermetid snail"
    Be carefull here there is a vermetid snail that will fill just about every bare spot in the reef including living on its tankmates.they will also clog up plumbing and make handling live rock dangerous with out gloves not to mention a hazzard to fish. The crown on them is like a razor
    here is the link to see if its what you have
    http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.htm

My mantis likes them

Talking

ORION is bang on.

I am speaking from experiance first hand with these devels. had to compleatly remove all rock soak in fresh water for a month then salt water for another month.compleatly clean them from tank and plumbing system. all corals were fraged to clean rocks and stored inanother system.basicly starting over:guns: from now on nothing gos into my main tank even rock gos to QT.
    If you have them take them out at first sign
    good luck
    Patrick..

Thanks for the replys everyone. I'll stay on top of it.